Quality system, make poor recordings sound better?

I notice that as I move up the audio chain, poor CD recordings sound worse and the good ones sound superb, should this be the case? Also I on any given day my system sounds different even with the same CDs. Any thoughts on this as well?
phd
This may go against the grain of many of the folks that frequent this website, and others of its ilk, but I read the following software review with an appreciation of the author's content and biases:

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2014/06/daniel-hertz-master-class-review.html

As such I have decided to purchase the product in hopes that it can ameliorate, if not completely eliminate, the recording anomalies that have rendered too many of the rock and roll tracks in my CD collection nearly unlistenable on the main rig.

We shall see, but Mr. Levinson assures me that I will be more than satisfied with the results.

GLR
Gl,

Can you provide one or two good examples of r&r tracks in you CD collection that you find unlistenable and why?

Just curious. A little digital remastering can go a long way, whether done well by a pro or at home. However, the details of how to correct best might vary largely track to track.
Mapman

Skynyrd, Audioslave, VH, Soundgarden, Stone Roses, the list goes on. Frankly I expect the recording quality for a lot of my rock tracks to be less than stellar. And as I alluded to in my prior post, I have no prejudice against using EQ to benefit the listening experience. I am in the camp that the problems with digital (at least with the rock that I listen to) is as much an issue (and probably more) with the recording/mastering process as it is with the hardware we use to listen on. Whether this software that Mark Levinson has developed is the real deal is an open question but one that I will have my own answer to over the next month or so.

Frankly, it was the review that got me very interested in the product. The reviewer's explanation of his physical reaction to digital recordings somewhat mimic mine, and his explanation of his reaction to Mark's software felt to me like something of the holy grail for folks that listen to rock recordings a majority of the time.

I don't necessarily believe that this software will render expensive audiophile equipment obsolete or that it will fulfill the promise of "perfect sound forever". But for the relatively small investment it requires, I am hoping that I have stumbled onto a fabulous product that is currently way under the radar. At least mine anyway....

Skynrd recordings I am familiar with are pretty good.

VH in my collection often has highly compressed dynamics. I am often but not always disappointed in the recording quality. But metal recordings often are what they are. MEtallica tends to do a better job with their recordings in general.

Soundgarden is/was a grunge band and recordings mostly reflect that.

Of these three, overall I'd say VH recordings are the worst. Whatever is there still sounds best on my best system.

SOmetimes recordings are what they are and you just have to learn to recognize the limitations and live with them, if you like the music still enough to want to listen. Listening with a good set of headphones may work better in some cases and is a good way to easily familiarize with specific recordings and their good and not so good aspects.

Phd, one other point worth mentioning, nothing too far out there, is that most of the music you identified is meant to be played loud. When music is played loud, the first thing to be sure to have a handle on is amplifier clipping. Amps get stressed increasingly as the volume goes up, especially with many modern power and current hungry speaker designs. The effects start as subtle and become increasingly audible as things get louder. Its a good practice for rock and metal lovers I would say to do whatever is needed to have an insurance policy against clipping. Speaker minimum power ratings are not reliable for this. In general, with most full range speakers found only in more expensive systems, the more good quality watts and amps available the better. ITs an insurance policy against clipping at a minimum. Often people get speakers capable of a lot of output even at low frequencies but skimp on amplifying them optimally. ROck/metal music is often the kind that suffers the most in this case. Once its all cleaned up, at least then it is possible to experience what the recordings intended but not otherwise.