EXPLAIN HD SACDs to me.

I have a player that plays both. Explain these to me. Are they worthwhile
128x128vernneal
???? There is no such thing as "HD SACDs."

Wikipedia has an overview of SACD.
http://www.sa-cd.net has a list of available ones and a forum.

What other are you asking about? What player do you have?

Kal
I'm not familiar with HDCD beyond knowing that it exists.

As for SACD I'll try to give a quick general overview. It is processed differently than a standard CD and the sample rate is higher (i.e. the digital signal better approximates the analog signal). Standard Redbook CDs have a 44.1 kHz sample rate and, I believe, transfer the data in "packs" of information that are something like 16 bits at a time. SACD is direct stream digital (DSD) and transfers the data a single bit at a time and the sample rate is 2.8 Mhz (2.8 million times per second vs. 44 thousand times per second). In theory, this should allow much better resolution, especially at higher frequencies.

In practice, I have some SACDs that sound better than the majority of my standard CDs, but it's certainly not true in every case. I have several standard CDs that sound better to me than some of my SACDs. The advantage to me is that I have not purchased an SACD that wasn't recorded well so it seems to eliminate, or greatly reduced, the risk of getting a poor recording.
Mceljo - SACD is also created without anti-alias filters that tend to screw-up transient response. SACD is basically the same as output of Delta-Sigma converter before filtering (PWM). Many audiophiles dislike Delta-Sigma converters but the same time enjoy SACD (strange).

HDCD is basically regular CD where the least significant of 16-bits is used to switch dynamic range (technique known as "in-band signaling") of the remaining 15 bits. Theoretically it is playable on standard CDP but it will play 15 bits with strange dynamics plus noise on bit #16.

I don't know how much better it can sound, but often recordings selected for such formats are excellent to start with making impression of new format superiority - I don't have opinion since I've never heard HDCD.