Experience with Mach2 Music Server?

I'm looking for user experiences with the Mach2 Music Server.

Thanks in advance.
tvad
Alex, are you running the MacMini into your APL DAC?

I am using both NWO-M and DAC-S for the evaluation. The Hiface is highly upgraded in both cases so it is more comparable to the M2Tech EVO.

Best,
Alex Peychev
Alex, I've tried the MacBook Pro in my system and the Mini sounds better

This is not very encouraging. :-(

Now, the last thing I need is some junky Toshiba laptop running Windows making me feel insecure about my sleek, Apple-based audio setup.

Well, compared to MacMini, the "junky" Toshiba laptop comes with a lot better hardware configuration. Apparently, being one of the semiconductor manufacturing leaders, Toshiba has done a very good job designing their laptop motherboards. And don't forget that the best sounding audio equipment uses Toshiba devices (JFETs, MOSFETs, BJTs, etc.).

In all seriousness, I wonder whether there's some kind of issue with the Mini and the Hiface.

The MacMini is nothing else but Intel based laptop, so I don’t see any compatibility issues with hiFace or any other USB audio device.

I think my Mini paired with a USB DAC sounds pretty good.

Sure, I agree, it does sound pretty good. It is always like this with audio; you are very happy with something until you hear something better. :-)

Best,
Alex Peychev
The Hiface is highly upgraded in both cases so it is more comparable to the M2Tech EVO.

Best,
Alex Peychev
Aplhifi (System | Answers | This Thread)
I understood that the APL DAC had a HiFace built in to the DAC itself to enable USB connection, so I'm not following your comment about using a highly upgraded HiFace.

Is this highly upgraded HiFace a separate device from the DAC?
Is this highly upgraded HiFace a separate device from the DAC?

Sorry about the confusion! I meant that is comparable to the EVO when it comes to linear power, sound quality, etc.

The DAC-S comes with the M2Tech built-in. It is an option for the NWO-M.

Best,
Alex Peychev
Listening to Peter Gabriel's "Plays Live" recording o the MacMini. I have to admit that the best this ever sounded was on my ~$2000 analog front end. Nothing super fancy: Technics SL1200 with KAB upgrades, Dynavector XX MK 2, Heed Audio Quasar. It was dynamic, open and incredibly extended top to bottom.

The CD version is pretty good, but it doesn't hold up to the LP.

Listening to the ripped CD on the MacMini>M2Tech HiFace>Modwright Transporter is the worst of the bunch. Flat, lifeless...blechhh.