Esoteric Digital Separates

Happy Holidays!

I've been giving some thought to my digital front end and am wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to compare any of the Esoteric single box players with their two box separates. I'm currently using an X-03SE which I love--great sonics and build quality--and am wondering what happens when you go to separates like the P05/D05 or P03/D03 combination. I don't want a change in sound character just more and better of what I'm getting with the X-03SE.

Thanks and enjoy.
dodgealum
Not to divert from the op, but Zephyr24069, I see you use some VH Audio cables. Can you tell me of cable options that you refer to that offer more performance for less. I do have a couple VH Audio Airsine power cords.
I am using VH Audio Symmetry (all copper) XLR interconnects and am extremely happy with them. I also am using a pair of Symmetry-grade all-copper 110-ohm AES/EBU for the connections between my P-03 and D-03 and am extremely happy there as well. To give you some idea of the meaning of my 'happiness' my prior cables were Tara 0.8 XLRs with HFX Floating ground stations (1m and 4m) and a pair of 0.5 AES/EBU with HFX Floating grounds. I find the VH Audio Symmetry cables to be amazing in terms of what they give and also in terms of what they replaced.
Hi Dogealum,

Actually i had the X03 SE for a few months, thn upgraded to the X01 D2, and a year ago upgraded to the P03 D03 duo.

What i can tell you from my experience is that the upgrade to the, at the time top one box was a big step, but the upgrade from the X01 D2 to the separates was actually a bigger step forward in comparation. I was very impress by the gains all over I got when going to the 03s from the X01. Far more than when I upgraded one box units. This came as a surprise to me.

The X03 was a fine player. Now the P03 D03 is at a totally different level ( sonics but also $$$ while...). If u have the means my advice is to go this way.

I would not go with the clock and your current unit. Im now considering the clock for the duo, but people say for one box units effect is very very small to none (I dont have first hand experience here though). But the change from X03 SE to the 03 s is anything but small. Quite huge all over.

Dont have experience with the 05s but people say the 03s are more balanced and better performers.

If I were you I would upgrade to the P03 D03 s. Thats exactly what I did, with one step in between, and i dont regret where I ended. after you spend some time with the separates, try to audition the clock ( i will do it myself in a few days) and see what it adds up if any.

I would only have one doubt if i had to buy brand new now: Are they maybe about to release a new P03 D03 like they just did with the top one box model (K01 I think is called)? If so, you may want to wait but how to find out? Dealers probably have no clue

Hope this helps
Best
Eli
Hi Zephyr24069,

Very detailed and interesting post. I would like to know more about the ground zero solution you comment.

Did you have an audible ground loop present or use it just lo lower noise floor? Can you elavorate a bit more on how you connect this and exactly what componets you have connected to the gadget? Does it really make a significant improvement or is it more on the subtle side of things?

I have not been able to find any review. Just a few lines mentioned on another much more expensive (12.000 Usd) gear review, that seems to be similar or for the same pourpose, but with a nice finish. The Tripoint Audio Troy. In that review they say that the granite solution did not make too big of a difference and that the Tripoint was great... Now Im not goning to expend 12 grand on this thing to lower floor noise..., but could consider the Granite if it delivers.

Thanks for the info
Eli