Is this the END of DAYS for the high end CD player

Seem like this format days are numbered like the cassette and LP. Why would you want to spend 5k or 10k+ for a high-end CD player or DAC combo??

Just trying to see what other audiophile’s thoughts are and where you guys & gals may be planing for the future. Do you stop here at the high end CD player and this format or go completely too digital files?

I'm at a quandary about investing into an expensive CD player setup.
apachef1
Opinions are only as good as your preconceptions.

Personally, I am very happy with what I currently have and see nothing that is securely established enough to convince me into further investment. Furthermore, I see nothing being phased out, in-fact to the contrary of. More music is available on CD today than all else combined and vinyl is making an impressive resurgence.
Wow Nice responses from everyone and thanks. I was leaning towards investing in a highend DAC which supports hi-rez playback.

I have a tidy collection of CD's some of which I will sell and the rest that I keep I will either download or just connect to the DAC and playback on an apple laptop for now

I'm not always up on the latest tech and I still have vinyl and Tape project in the mix to.
Thanks again for your input
THAT is what everyone said about LP playback. And so now one can buy turntables by the score anywhere from $300 to $180,000. With lots of them in the $3,000 to $20,000. range. So I really think, (for awhile) the outlook for CD playback may seem gloomy, but it will not die either. Way too many CDs out there. The machines may all become universal disc, playing Cd to SACD DVD DVDA to BluRay.. but they will still be made for a long time.
Also, after the 'fun' of rripping stuff dies down, and the crashes of drives or forgetting to have backups, or (my favorite) when you buy a new computer, and discover NONE of the $20,000. worth of high-rez will transfer...Pissed yet?) A bunch of folks are gonna WANT those shiny discs as the CD's do not need big brother's permission to access. (yes, even on what YOU think is your own computer)
Wait, blu ray for audio has not come into its prime. Better to wait, maybe for the Oppo 95, which will play the cds, sacd etc. Best to put more money into the media, including downloads of hi rz.
High-end CD players, and I emphasize "high-end", no, their days are not over and they will continue to be available because enough audiophiles with CD libraries will be willing to pay the premiums necessary to justify their manufacture in very small numbers. Likewise, the general market for triodes, turntables and SACD players collapsed years ago, but they continue to be manufactured in tiny numbers for very high-end implementations because there are several tens of thousands of people worldwide who still want such products and are willing to pay the big premiums necessary to render viable their very limited production.

Components for high-end two-channel playback are now essentially hand-made and in extremely small numbers, which explains why they tend to be so expensive. I know a number of people who run custom-made preamps and power amps, and I try to explain to them that the only difference between their components and mine, which are somewhat known brands, is that the manufacturers of my gear bothered to come up with names and logos for what they make - many well-known two-channel brands are often just people making things in their garages or basements after they get home from their day jobs. Some brands are 2 to 4 man operations with small facilities in industrial parks, but even that is the exception these days - there are very few Sonus Fabers and Mark Levinsons. High-end cables? Transparent, Kimber and Cardas make their own cables, but the typical brand is a guy designing on a computer who contracts out the manufacturing to companies like Belden.

So, yes, you'll always be able to find someone offering $7,500 CD players. In a nod to the push toward hard-drive storage, such players will feature digital inputs so that they can be run with outboard digital sources. Most of the cost will go to subsidize the expense of small manufacturing runs of critical sub-assemblies such as transports and lasers, and the R&D behind the analog output stages and custom algorithms in the converters. A $700 phono stage in 2011? It's $42 worth of parts and perhaps a machined faceplate - the rest is the substantial premium necessary to recoup R&D and generate manufacturer margin on a production run of a couple hundred units.