Digitalmeisters - Thoughts on Olive.....

Just starting to think about using a music server. I don't want to use a laptop, but a dedicated music server. What is the experience out there with the gear from Olive products across the line. Will I need an external DAC for the type of quality I am use to (most recently I've been using Accustic Arts and EMM Labs). What are the alternatives that function similarly in terms of storage, interface, and DAC. I am a complete novice to this music server approach, so I just want to learn as I start getting my mind around the whole new approach (relatively new) to digital playback.
pubul57
re Wireless: I have been using an Airport Express to send my music wirelessly from iMac in one room to audio rig in a different room. Digital files made by iTunes (with error correction selected in prefs) in Apple Lossless (the Express converts everything to Apple Lossless upon transmission anyway, so better to spare the CPU the burden). I run the digital output from the Express through a Genesis Digital Lens to reduce jitter, then into the coax digital input on my Levinson 390S CD player/processor. Control interface is Apple's free Remote app on my iPhone (iPad would be even better).

Sound quality is indistinguishable from playing the same disc in the CD player itself.
I had bought the 4 D and returned it. Sound was ho hum and the software is terrible. It couldn't recognize 13 out of the 15 discs that I attempted to load.
I decided to go with a 2 TB iMac. I had previously used both a MacBook Pro and a MiniMac and sonically I was happy with both.
My experience with the older Olives has been very positive. I've got several Olive Musicas in a couple different systems and have been impressed with them. One is stock, one is modded by Red Wine Audio (RWA) and one has Bolder Cable mods.

The digital out of the stock unit is quite good (though slightly improved through a Genesis Lens) and the modded Olives' digital outs are on the same playing field (and in some ways better than) my $2.5K transport (which I rarely use these days). The analog outs need the mods to compete in the current high-end market, IMO, but as music storage with digital out to a good DAC, the Olives shine and are a great option. I haven't heard the latest incarnations, so maybe the newer DACs are better and the PS noise reduced, and of course 24/96 capability is a plus, but most of my music is still 16/44.

I've considered getting one of the newer models and getting power supply and digital out mods done to them, to access high resolution. Without mods, I think an Olive matched to a PS Audio PW DAC w/Bridge, for example, would be a killer combo. If I was starting from scratch, I'd also look at the new Wadia 171i iPod/ iPad dock and the Cary MS-1 server (see Stereophile's CES report).

I prefer to use a stand alone unit as a music server. I have a Macbook Pro but prefer a direct digital connection via coax (the RWA has a BNC with pulse transformer, the Bolder uses a 75 ohm Nextgen). Battery operation in the RWA makes for a wonderfully quiet background, a definite plus with computers. I use a Nokia tablet as a remote, though the iPhone/iPad products are probably better. I love being able to access my whole music collection while sitting in the sweet spot, and without any hit to musicality.
A nice review by Laurence Borden can be found at Dagogo.

Anyway, just wanted to let Nglazer know that some long-term Olive users are quite happy....
I had no idea Olive was having these types problems. They have been around for a while, and apparently have a fairly vigorous advertising budget - you would think they had their house in order. So the Airport Express is the device that wirelessly connects a MAC to the input at the DAC - simple as that?