Sony XA-5400es VS Oppo 83SE

I recently got an Oppo 83SE and played my first ever SACD today and I'am a convert.

Now I'am wondering if the Sony might be more musical than the Oppo,which I feel is quite a good Cd/SACD player.Right now looks like the last chance to get a new Sony before they diapear.But at twice the price of the Oppo does anyone feel this is an upgrade in musicallity? Anyone compared the two? Thanks in advance Gary
mystang
Rwwear.
That's a very good point.
If you have a HT and 2 channel in combination, the Oppo will surely fit the bill.
But, the Oppo will still not sound nearly as good as the Sony XA-5400 for CD's. The differance is not a small one.

Mystang.
The Oppo 83se will do your DVD's just fine without selling and going to the Oppo 93. That is if your still going to get the Sony.

Just trying to help.
John
had a chance to compare both of these last month on some nice mac gear and aerial 20t's. the sony clearly sounded better with redbook in this particular 2ch system. sacd was no contest imho. the sony sounded outstanding. this really is a top notch player at a great price. wasn't in the market for a cdp yet but am planning a simple/inexpensive bedroom system. a new cdp was in the plan so i looked intothe sony a bit more. was offered a good deal and decided to pull the trigger early. this player seems like such a bargain/value, i didn't want to miss out.

plan on doing a detailed a/b against my ps audio pwt/pwd before putting it in the bredroom. have a feeling the sony will keep up with the psa equipment at nearly 3x the cost. kinda anxious to find out. adding nice monitors and a decent integrated could/should make for one hell of a simple/inexpensive system with this sony running the show. should have mine in a week or so (they are back ordered and going away from what i hear). will report back with the psa pwt/pwd vs sony xa-5400es shoot-out results.
I haven't heard the 5400 but owning a 707es I know how good Sony can be.
A friend of mine and I compared my Oppo 83se to his PWD and we could hear no difference at all between the two on his system. His system is quite good and consists of Revel Salon 2's, Lamm 1.1's and the Pass labs X0.2.
i have the ps audio pwt and pwd. i also own the 83se.

i prefer the ps audio gear.

as far as sacd the oppo is fair. i heard a $400 onkyo which i heard. i may consider the sony 54000 if i can buy it cheap.

in addition, with the ps products you can play hi-rez. you cannnot with the oppo./
Levy03 I would be interested to hear back after your shoot out.

Zmanastronomy I think I will keep the 83SE and add a sony.I see American Theater is selling several now but I need to check and see if they are an Authorized Dealer otherwise no warranty.