cd player or computer with dac

i have put together a system which consists of the dartzeel cht8550 integrated,ascendo system f speakers with the arcam cd17 but i know the cd player is the weak link i shall be grateful if some one could help me decide the source and cables for the same and does a source really make the difference
jasbirnandra
The Playback Designs series of DACs and digital players are often-recommended sources of choice for the Dartzeels, and for good reason. All-custom circuitry designed by Andreas Koch (his background in digital design is close to legendary) and referenced and voiced with the Dartzeels, they have been combined with Evolution Acoustics speakers to win major awards at CES, etc. for several years.

http://www.playbackdesigns.com/index.html

IMO, these sources will place you on the front edge of high-end digital audio and keep you there for years to come.
i am looking at the playback mps/mpd3 but not heard one so do not know what will its sonic signature be like
I went contrary to the usual progression, giving up a DAC in favor of a dedicated CD player. I did it for synergy and got it in spades. Now it is BAT tube CD player to BAT tube preamp to BAT solid state amp.

Conventional wisdom is computer source to DAC. But some guys aren't techie and some guys prefer the ritual of manual media and some guys like to hear a whole "album" and not just one song. So, it is a matter of personal preference measured against your subjective goals.
The MPS-3 mentioned by Jasbirnandra gives him the flexibility of multiple digital sources. It's a "world class CD transport combined with a discrete dual differential DAC that can also receive a variety of external digital sources, including computer based music servers". That, and "future-proofed" with native support for 24/384kHz, and DSD up to 6.1MHz.

Jasbirnandra,
I spent more than an hour with one of the PD - Dartzeel - EA systems.
Difficult for me to describe, except to say that I agree with the assessment of sonic signature found in this article reviewing the MPS-5.

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue46/playback_designs.htm

Good luck.