Playback Designs MPD-3

I am looking for any feedback regarding the sound of this DAC, and how it stacks up against the current top-tier. It's been out since the middle of the year, but there isn't much info out there regarding its performance.

Thanks!
soundqcar
I got a chance to listen the the Playback Designs MPS-3 (CD Player version of the MPD-3) at RMAF 2011. I was both very impressed and slightly disappointed at the demonstration setup.

They had an Ampex ATR-100 Tape Deck, an MPS-3, as sources. They were hooked up to darTZeel CTH-8550 integrated amplifier and Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne Speakers.

They played Harry Belafonte, Live at Carnegie Hall on tape first. It sounded absolutely amazing, with excellent dynamics. I'd say it sounded as good as, if not better than some very good record setups.

They then played the same track, using a 24/196 version, upsampled to DSD, through the MPS-3.

While it didn't sound as good as the tape, it wasn't that far off. The presentation was perhaps a little bit more forward than the tape version, more detailed in some areas, yet perhaps a little less "analog" and warm.

My main concern with their setup was that they chose not to use regular CD Playback in their demonstrations. They only used high resolution files, so I didn't get to observe how good it could be for regular CD's.

Secondly, it didn't seem that the gain between the tape deck or the MPS-3 was matched or equalized. So the MPS-3 seemed a little bit "hotter".

The speakers were also very impressive and super high resolution.

- I'd love to hear more from those who've had a chance to test out MPS-3 or MPD-3 capability on regular Redbook files...

- Is it forgiving of bad recordings? Is upsampling the true magic bullet?

My ideal is if bad recording sound listenable and good recordings sound great.
Disclaimer: I have not heard a cd played back through a MPS3 using its in board transport, only my computer to a MPD3 DAC. I'm probably splitting hairs but I consider the MPD3 taking the data fed from a source as RE-sampling to DSD, not upsmapling. Since this is the first DAC to attempt this, the semantics of the terminology will probably cause a few to roll their eyes.

In my preious DACs, with few expections, i preferred playback in its native sample rate. I found upsampled 16/44.1 files sounded better to my ears without upsampling. I found 24 bit files upsampled were sometimes better, sometimes no, when utilizing upsampling.

I have experimented with the MPD3 and i prefer native sample rate files fed to the MPD3 and let the DAC RE-sample the data from PCM to DSD. As far as the sound, i could not be happier but then again, i don't have a Studer Reel to Reel for comparison. As far as level matching...the output from the MPD3 is a bit "hotter" than my vinyl rig....but I compensate by just turning the volume down a bit.....;)
I am not sure if it is accurate to say that PD is the first DAC to resample PCM to DSD2. At least EMM and Esoteric can do the same thing, converting PCM to DSD whether it is the same resampling, upsampling or whatever, I am not sure.

When I had Esoteric D05, I agree that playing at native sampling without over sampling sounds best and conversion to DSD sounded the worse.

However, since there is no way to hear PD playing PCM without resampling to DSD2, all I can say is that it sounds significantly better than other DACs that I own previously regardless of whether oversampling, resampling or whatever else was used or not used.

Bigamp, thanks for information regarding software for DSD playback. Once I start ripping my vinyl collection, I will have to look into those.
JRiver MC17 now plays native DSD without converting to PCM on the PC. It uses the Playback Designs ASIO driver.
Ghasley, how does the sound of the MPD-3 differ from dCS gear which converts the data to 5 bit 2.8MHz or 3.07MHz rather than the 1bit 6.1MHz rate of the PD gear?

I much preferred the ARC DAC 8 in native resolution to an expensive dCS stack but haven't heard the MPD-3.