Audiogon "RECORDINGS TO DIE FOR" list

I've been listening to some of my favorite recordings this weekend and was wondering what others on Audiogon felt were there favorites. We have all seen the Stereophile "Records to Die For", The Absolute Sounds recommended list, Music Directs' list, The Golden Ear, etc. now I'm hoping to assemble the Audiogon "Recordings To Die For". Please list your five favorite recordings, the ones you listen to over and over or play for friends. I would assume the sonic quality is excellent in that this is an audiophile site. The performance and enjoy ability should also be excellent. Please leave your top five, even if they are already chosen so we can discover the very top for the Audiogon listeners. ALSO PLEASE REFRAIN FROM CRITICIZING OTHERS OPINIONS AND JUST LEAVE YOUR FAVORITES!

August 2002: I have compiled a summary and a full printer-friendly list of all of the recommendations below.
click here to view summary
128x128jadem6
I'll make mine a bit harder to find. All are on LP:

1)The Dave Frishberg Songbook, volume one. Incredible dynamics and realism for this set of vocal cafe jazz and novelty songs. Omni Sound Jazz LP

2)Introducing Roland Kirk. Great reed timbre from a jazz inovator that looks foreward and back at the same time. Argo LP, the Chess reissue is not quite so good.

3)Ten Years After, Undead. Many will hate this, a live recording in a small club with peaky mikes, gobs of hum and feedback, sloppy playing, but in the end, it captures the feel of a live club date as well as any I have ever heard.Polydor LP

4)Joni Mitchell, Don Juan's Reckless Daughter. When the great Jaco Pastorious slams his detuned e-string at the beginning of "Cotton Avenue" the walls shake and time stands still. A very underappreciated album featuring the great Wayne Shorter on sax.Reprise LP

5)Bill Evans, Quintessance. The best sound of all of the excellent Evans outings. Great dynamics, smooth timbres and U-R There realism.Fantasy LP

1. argerich live recordings Tchaikovsky 1st and rachmaninoff 3rd. what a concerto really means, no wimps here.
2. the kinks- one for the road- new remastered version. soaring guitar work.
3. return of the hellecasters- unbelievable guitar work no vocals. If you can sit still or drive under the speed limit while listening to this version of orange blossom special, you are legally dead. collect on your insurance.
4.Panama Francis and the savoy sultans vol.II - Classic Jazz CJ-150 LP dance music from the harlem glory days that moves.
5. Beethoven cycle von Karajan 1962 simply the best.
Tony Bennett with Bill Evans on JVC XRCD is really enthralling. Evans' lyricism is bettered only by the utterly
astounding fluidity and sonic coherence of Bennett's oh-so-nakedly-miked crooning. Phew!
What? No Southern Rock? Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker. You don't have live South of the Mason-Dixon line to appreciate this stuff. Especially early Allmans. E-mail me for any suggestions.
1)Charles Mingus - Ah Um (Title is supposedly some kind of joke in latin, does anyone get it?)
2)Duke Ellington - Afroeurasian Eclipse: got this one referral from W. Marsalis and the LCJO.
3)T. Monk - Might as well start with his earliest compilation of classics, but you wont stop there...
4) For God sakes lets get Van Morrison on the list; Moondance is surely deserving but I listen to A night in San Francico more.
5) Springsteen - The Wild the Innocent...
Did I really leave off Dylan, Beatles, Steely, Floyd, Sting...