Audiogon "RECORDINGS TO DIE FOR" list

I've been listening to some of my favorite recordings this weekend and was wondering what others on Audiogon felt were there favorites. We have all seen the Stereophile "Records to Die For", The Absolute Sounds recommended list, Music Directs' list, The Golden Ear, etc. now I'm hoping to assemble the Audiogon "Recordings To Die For". Please list your five favorite recordings, the ones you listen to over and over or play for friends. I would assume the sonic quality is excellent in that this is an audiophile site. The performance and enjoy ability should also be excellent. Please leave your top five, even if they are already chosen so we can discover the very top for the Audiogon listeners. ALSO PLEASE REFRAIN FROM CRITICIZING OTHERS OPINIONS AND JUST LEAVE YOUR FAVORITES!

August 2002: I have compiled a summary and a full printer-friendly list of all of the recommendations below.
click here to view summary
128x128jadem6
1.) All Steely Dan - Donald has never cut a mediocre album.
2.) Peter Frampton - Comes Alive.
3.) Peter Frampton - Live In Detroit. If you like "Comes Alive", you'll love this one. Peter just can't seem to make a great studio album. Where's Alan Parsons when you need him.
4.) Pink Floyd - The Wall
5.) Brian Wilson - Imagination

Tuff to list just five . . .

Big Star - #1 Record/Radio City
Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners
James Carter - The Real Quietstorm
Richard and Linda Thompson - Shoot Out the Lights
Joni Mitchell - Blue

I also support the Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue' recommendations, as well as the Lucinda Williams and Iris DeMent votes, believe that Billie Holiday's Verve recordings are all to die for (get the whole box set), and am surprised not to see Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" appear on a few lists (that recording is just as startling twenty years down the road).
Ry Cooder - "Bop 'Til You Drop" - simply incredible! Ry produced this and did a marvelous job. Reputed to be the first all-digital pop recording, it is sonically superb and the band is tight and soulful. Ignore the cover (Ry looks like he just mainlined a hot load of smack) and get it!

Al Stewart - "Year of the Cat" - Excellent demo record, very high production values and great performances.

1812 Overture - Telarc - Be prepared to pick up pieces of your woofer when the cannons kick in! My only experience is with the original vinyl issue, I hear the re-recorded re-issue is impressive...

Dave Grusin - "Mountain Dance" - Another *excellent* demo record, try to find the original 1980 issue.

Danny Gatton - Oh man, when I heard he died, I *had* to pull off the road and cry - I'm getting teary-eyed now just thinking about it. Check out his new anthology, "Hot Rod Guitar". In my book, nobody, and I mean NOBODY, has ever played a better and more soulful axe. Take my word for it, Stevie Ray Vaughan is, right now, learning how to carry Danny's guitar case up in Heaven and Roy Buchanan is his touring roadie. Listen, my son, and you too shall know the truth.
TRIO Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, Emmy Lou Harris
produced by George Massenburg.

Mozart Wind Serenade K.361 conducted Otto Klemperer. Simply incredible. 1963 Abbey Road Recording. Out of print, even in CD, but worth the search.

DUKE ELLINGTON "Blues in Orbit"

Mozart "Marriage of Figaro" conducted by John Elliott Gardiner.

Ricki Lee Jones "Pop Pop"

Schumann Sonata in F# minor Murray Periaha

Ben Webster with Strings

Donald Fagen "Nightfly"

Art Garfunkel "Watermark" & "Breakaway"

Duke Ellington "Three Suites"

MIles DAvis "Bitches Brew" & "Porgy & Bess"

Tony Bennett and Bill Evans
Wait, wait, wait...they asked for the 5 best...so here they are
1. Carly Simon: Greatest hits live
2. Doors: Best of the Doors
3. Janice Ian "Jessie"
4. Nat King Cole: Golden Greats
5. Stylistics: Best of the stylistics
I couldn't mention Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimmy Hendrix, or Pink Floyd...sorry.