Best Way To Archive Vinyl On My PC

I have a metric $#%&load of vinyl that I'd like to archive on my PC. The native sound card has to go. I already have the PC-to-stereo big rig connection in place, and it functions. Now, I'd like to stereo-to-PC, so I can play all the vinyl using my good TT, into my PC. It looks like there's a movement afoot to go to PCI E sound cards. My current PC has only PCI sockets, so maybe USB is the way to go. I'm not sure. I'll probably go FLAC, WAV, etc. if I can find the space. Right now, all my tunes are high-bitrate MP3s, or M4As.

Any advice on this?
licoricepizza

Seldenr, after extensive critical listening to the playlist of my vinyl, I've come to the conclusion that any shortcomings are in the original analog domain.

Although I have a large vinyl collection which was the result of natural accumulation before CD, I wasn't into high end audio. Once I got into high end, my analog lagged behind. I've discovered that with my humble A to D conversion rig, the shortcomings are in the analog domain as opposed to the digital. You won't have that problem.

In regard to the "pop removal", mine works very well; but I only use it on records that need it. I would think going directly into the Benchmark will yield the best results. I'm using Windows 7, if non-defeatable volume control is eating bits, it hasn't eaten so many that I can tell the difference.

Your post was highly beneficial, and I'm sure you will get the best results.
Correction on my last post. It won't make any difference whether you run it "line in, line out" on your pre, or direct to the Benchmark. The ability to monitor is a good thing.
Read Michael Fremer's review of Pure Vinyl. Forget everything else. It handles RIAA digitally.