CD Direct to Mono Blocks or Preamp???

I just purchased a Pair of Dynaudio Sapphire's. I power them via Bryston 7Bst's. I'm running a California Audio Labs CL-15 (variable audio out) directly into the Brystons. I feel the Cal-Audio is the weak link and trying to decide to either replace it with another (better -suggestions??) variable out player or add a preamp to the cal (maybe still replace the Cal anyway but won't need variable out. My audio taste tends to like DETAIL !!. Appreciate your input.
2bz
My favorite preamp for digital playback is Grace M903. It's pricey but it combines state of the art DAC, headphone amp and volume control so that you don't necessary have to get a good quality CD-player or transport.
The reason I'm currently running the Cal CL-15 direct is because when I first tried the Cal through my Audio Research LS3 (approx 10 yrs. ago)I remember it sounding fuller through the preamp but more detailed cd direct (at the time my speakers were Dynaudio Contour 3.3). I was thinking of getting Bryston's BP-26 (or BP6) and run my cal cl-15 into that...or going with McIntosh MCD 500 CD direct(MCD 1100 a bit rich for my blood). Any thoughts on this. (Keep in mind ...with the Bryston option ..I will have another audio boost when I ..down the road ..replace my Cal CD. which option do you feel will give the most detail?
(I appreciate your thoughts).
Audio Research isn't the best match to 7B-St since it has very high gain that you don't need. One of the best active volume controls that would give you a full sound + maximum transparency IMHO is either McCormack RLD or Wyred4Sound preamps.