Best Server - Mac Mini or Laptop Or ?

Suggestions on getting the best sound from the mp3 files I have.

- Existing 5 year old Mac Pro laptop
- New mac mini
- Modified mac mini (Mac2music seems to have disappeared - any suggestions on simple mods to make?)

thanks,
cdc2
Chuck - this mini:

http://eshop.macsales.com/Descriptions/specs/Framework.cfm?page=macminilate09.html

With Snow Leopard on it.

CDC2 - sound differences are: 2011 sounds a bit flat, uninteresting, not vivid, without weight. A bit threadbare. Also 2011 only works decent with short USB cable.

SSD I recommend is:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/Y3SSD6E120/

USB cable: I like the Revelation Audio Labs. Also heard that the Wireworld is good, but have not compred it. If you can find a used Locus Design Polestar or Axis, these are very good. Get at least 1.5m long.

As for DAC, I manufacture one, so this is what I recommend. Gets rid of your preamp without needing to go to digital volume control.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Steve,

Just so I understand.

Mac Mini - late 2009

Add 120 GB SSD (how important is brand - one place I found that has the mac available sells 128GB Apple branded Toshibas, a 160GB Intel)?

Need, external drive for music storage (any recommendations here?)
The Intel SSD will probably work fine.

For external Drive, I recommend a RAID 1 preferably removable, connected by Firewire.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
I would not characterize the 2011 mini as lacking weight or threadbare, but I do have mine heavily tweaked. And that was a big change from stock (even then it sounded better than my Macbook). And this is even without the addition of a ssd.

Lion and Snow Leopard also sounded different and in the end I went with Lion. Players make much more difference and I ha ve heard all of the contenders and feel Audirvana Plus to be the best of the bunch to my ears.

Bixby
digitalaudiodirections.blogspot.com
Steve, for your new Override SE DAC (looks great btw), what front end do your recommend? Does simple window based loptop with no additional sound card will be enough for best sound? Any USB based outout from that laptop will be input to the Override SE DAC. Correct? Are you plannning to build and sell any front end simple plug and play solution , so one can insert the CD and the device will rip it and it will play from SSD or HD and controlled by IPOD or IPAD, so one dont have to do any tweeks or software manipulatinos?
Thanks.