has anyone had problems with wadia service?

i have a wadia 381, and for some reason when it is turned on it now emits a high pitched tone, which can best be described as sounding like that of a flying insect. i have called wadia several times and most of the time i get an automated message - on some occasions i get an announcement saying "thank you for calling wadia" other times it says "thank you for calling audio research". it almost seems like there is no one there. the whole thing just gives me the sense that something strange is going on (like, maybe wadia is about to go under).

in any event, i am currently stuck with a cd player that doesn't work and no apparent way to get it fixed. has anyone else had problems contacting wadia?
paperw8
Hi - this is burt at Seattle Hi-Fi. Sumiko acquired/merged with Wadia several months back and you are most likely calling an old number. please call me at 253-737-7407 and I will give you the new contact numbers and emails.

We will get you handled and their service is excellent.

Respectfully,
Burt Goodman
Seattle Hi-Fi
Seattlehifi,
Their service couldn't be that great if they didn't route him to the new contact number via their website. It is not excusable.
If you were'nt good enough to answer this thread, he would still be in the dark.
Seattlehifi,

thank you for your offer of assistance. i am almost certain that an old number is not the problem. while i have generally gotten an automated general annoucement when i called the number listed on the wadia website, there have been a few occasions (i have called numerous times) when a human operator answered the call. one of those occasions was on friday. the automated general announcement gives a list of departments and extension numbers to dial to reach the respective departments. when i entered the extension for the service department, i invariably got another message stating that the person in the service department was unavailable and to leave a message. the problem is that when i left a message i received no return call. on a previous occasion when i got the human operator (who announced that the company was wadia) and asked to be connected to the service department i got to the same announcement (the one about the guy not being available...).

on friday, when i again got the human operator, i specifically told the operator that i was having difficulty getting a person to pick up the call when i contacted the service department and did not getting a return call to the message that i did leave. in response, the operator told me that she would try someone else. but what i got was the voice mail announcement of another person who was apparently not available.

what made this all the more bizarre was that i hung up when i got yet another voice mail announcement and called the main wadia number (at least the one listed on the website). this call was maybe 1 minute after i spoke to the human operator, but this time the call range to the automated general announcement. i made several repeat calls within a period of 20 minutes or so and got the automated general announcement every time (on some occasions the announcement stated the name wadia and on other occasions it stated the name audio research).

this is the kind of stuff that makes me really wonder about exactly what is going on at wadia. based on what you are stating (and i checked and wadia was bought by fine sounds about 1-1/2 years ago and bought sumiko about 1 year ago; they apparently also own audio research), my suspicion is that the human operator (when i actually get her) is not actually located in michigan (or wherever wadia is operating these days). what is even more worrying is that when i got the automated general annoucement, i tried different departments to see whether i could get anyone to answer at any of them, and i did not. one of the departments that i called was the sales department. i would suspect that one department that you would always want to have pick up the phone is the sales department, so when you can't get the sales department to pick up the phone, then something very odd must be going on at wadia. when i first bought my unit 2 years ago, i never had a problem getting someone to answer the phone at wadia. now, i apparently can't get an answer from any department at wadia.
There's no doubt among us, based on this thread, that if we were all to own and operate a large national corporation with multiple sub-companies, spread across several states, that everything would be perfect all of the time - including mergers and acquisitions of new entities and their personnel and assets. :)
And Wadia is still getting organized in the framework of the larger entity so a few things are likely to require additional time to sort out - such as getting or assigning personnel in place to answer the phones or updating the website with new contact names and numbers.

I understand your frustration in having a unit that requires service but rather than make repeated attempts with a number that gives you an automated greeting and menu list - just call me and let me get you to a higher-up that will treat you as you deserve to be treated and will handle the repair in a timely fashion.

I've serviced several units with Wadia over the years and recently and service was always handled professionally and quickly.