pre-amp vs dac straight to amps

i have a old (but nice) audio reseach ls-8 going into a ps audio dac III with full cullen upgrades. pre=amp is getting long in tooth and wondering, replace? my whole catalog of over 1500 cd's are now all flac files out of a pc. does the pre-amp add anything ( i thought tubes soften?) so.....

buy a new pre-amp or go straight from dac to amps (yes i know will need something to control volume). thanks very much
mlapenta
anyone try this channel island VPC-3 Passive controller for volume out of DAC? I am concerned that going from a DAC to class D amps (also Channel Islands) will sound to digital? I had liked to believe my tube pre-amp was warming sound?
ok, i tried a/b on pre-amp vs direct. I was kinda stunned at the sound direct from DAC to amps. It was so big and in your face, lots of bass punch and overall more "impact" I was glad to hear that human voices did not suffer in this.

However, I do feel there was a slight loss of detail and smoothness in upper mid range so.... still preplexed on which way to commit. new per-amp or passive pre-amp.
mlapenta,

I had to smile when I saw your post.

My experience is exactly the opposite of yours: DAC direct to amps is more "transparent," has better detail, and smoothness—but, for me, it's through the preamp that has lots of bass punch and impact! (Isn't audio—or is that the human mind?— wonderful?)

I suppose, though, that this could be explained by the particular combinations of components used.

[My experience is based, most recently, on the following set-up: DAC is Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB/VBS1; preamps are Bryston BP-26, Allnic L3000A, BAT VK-51SE; power amps are McCormack DNA-500 and DNA-1 SMc Audio Revision Gold; speakers are Tannoy System 15 DMT II and TAD Exclusive TSM-2402 clones.]
No experience—yet—in computer-based audio, but I prefer using a preamp.

First reason is a practical one: I have four source components, one each for CD, SACD, LP, and FM, so I need quick 'n' easy switching from one to the other.

Second reason is that, in my limited experience, it always sounds more "alive" through a preamp (and for me, that means an active preamp).

Now, with audioengr's explanation of the problem—shortage of DACs "with a decent volume control technology"—I understand why.
My expirence has been running my Benchmark HDR 1 feed directly to my Kharma MP150 amps for 6 months, then added a Modwright LS 36.5 Pre. The difference was astounding soundstage, warmth, voices came alive. The Benchmark was cold and thin in comparison not to knock the Benchmark but I'll keep mine as a Dac.