Playback Designs

Hello friends,

I'm struggle on whether to get a MPS5 or MPS3, I know it is a matter of budget however my concern is whether worth for double the money, anyone can help ?
128x128lawence_carpio
I have both the XDS1 and the MPS5. The MPS5 is definitely not lean, especially compared to the XDS1.

The XDS1 did sound leaner at first but I've found that it does take a while to run in and it's very balanced now though without the mid bass emphasis of the MPS5 which I liked (I found the MPS5 similar to my Project RPM10.1 evolution/Sumiko Blackbird/Bel Canto Phono3).

But I do use a tube preamp which adds a lot to both the XDS1 and the MPS5, which I suspect is what you may be hearing with the tube mods on the Modwright.
Crna39: Your comment about your modded Oppo is of no help to me, unless you say which model you have, what mods were done, and by whom.
I am using the VAC 300 mono blocks, the VAC Sig. 2A preamp, ESP Harp speakers similar to the Concert Grands, Aesthetix IO Sig. Phono stage with dual power supplies. I also have the Basis 5 vacuum table and Vector arm with ZYX Universe cartridge. Cables are Siltech and Wireworld.
Doggiehowser: I use Ayon CD-5s as well running directly either into Ayre V-5xe or Ayon Crossfire PA power amp feeding a pair of Lumen White Aquilla speakers through an all cabled Crystal Cable Dream system. Would you say the Playback Designs MPS 5 clearly betters the Ayon ? Have you compared the CD-5s or the MPS-5 to Esoteric K-01, Wadia S-7i, DCS Pucchini - which are more or less similarly priced ?
Cheers,
Frank