DEQX - TACT - QOL - Thoughts on these?

My two main setup both involve bi-amping with external active crossovers. My first set is for a Sander sound 10b electro static speaker and my second speaker is a pair of celestion SL6000. Both use different active crossovers, the Sander sound 10b uses the Behringer 2496 processor for this task.

Since both my setup already goes through this digital crossover layer, I'm exploring if I can optimize the sound more in this process.

I've been hearing/seeing good things around digital processors such as DEQX, TACT and QOL. They seem to have different focus and different approach to optimizing the sound, but I am unclear as to where these overlap with each other and my existing active cross over and preamp even.

If anyone has insights on these, please share your experience.

Inquiring minds want to know...

Gerald
geraldedison
Well, TACT are basically dead in the water. QOL is not a crossover. So that only leaves DEQX...! Or a higher quality DSP like a Xilica.

DEQX goes beyond a standard DSP like the xilica by offering linear phase speaker correction for both frequency response and phase.

See the 'Implementing' tab for more on the DEQX on this page http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/DEQX-HDP-4.html including videos and PDFs.
You can use a 4 channel Trinnov ST2-Pro (and the soon the be released Amethyst) to do DRC, and build the active cross-over. I have not compared to the other units mentioned, but those that have claim Trinnov is the gold standard in DRC.
The first response was spot on.

There are a couple of issues though. The very best passive crossovers still outperform it - but only the very best. The DAC's in the device are not the highest quality - but you can add external DAC's - however at a significant cost.

Set-up is a bit of a pain but not beyond the average hobbyist.

IMHO its optimum use if for hobbyists who want to build their own speakers. Crossover design is normally an issue - but with this device is a doddle.

Thanks
Bill