does 32 bit make a difference over 24 bit?

I am looking to buy a new cd/dac. I have looked at the SimAudio 750 which is supposed to be 32 bit. I am trying to purchase something that will not be obsolete in the next few years. I have twin Pathos Classic 1 mkIIs running bridged(about 140 watts per channel) and Avalon Ascension speakers. I only play red cd's but will at some point get in to some kind of streaming. I would like to keep the price at somewhere between 6k and 7k (used. Will the higher bit rate make a difference in the future?
Thank you all
gztone
I agree with almost everything Bhobba stated. Most PCs and macs are not setup to play 32-bit files; that is the few that exist. That said, I do not believe that anyone would actually hear any difference in a blind test.

I have also looked at the Chord DACs, the reviews are very good. But I simply can't get past the over-the-top retro machine look. I would prefer that they packaged their technology into simpler packaging and cost 50% less. But maybe that's just my pet peeve...
I just want to clarify what I said.

Obviously I haven't compared two DAC's that are exactly the same except one is 32 bit and the other is 24 bit - DAC's like that do not exist. And there is simply far too little 32 bit stuff around to check it that way.

What I am saying is 32 bit capable DAC's as a group do not sound any better or worse than 24 bit - nothing I can hear anyway. Obviously within both groups there are difference but as a whole I cant hear any. I will say however that 32 bit capable DAC's generally use newer chips like the SABER chip - I am not a big fan of the SABER chip - the detail it presents is a bit too overt for my taste - that's in the one SABER implementation I heard that didn't have other issues such as a cold top end and a bit of sibilance (a modified WFS fed by an Off-Ramp).

Two of the best DAC's I have heard are the Killer DAC - its 16 bit and the Chord - its 64 bit. So my suggestion is judge DAC's by how they sound in your system - not if they are 16 bit, 32 bit or even 64 bit.

Thanks
Bill
hi Douglas,
referring to your thread above, you mentioned "using the 750D in conjunction with the Pathi is one of my favored setups... and the combo is superb"
May I know what speakers were you pairing with when using this setup? is it King Sound electrostatic?
Thanks for you kind info..
regards,
-phil
Philipwu, one set of speakers I used was the Chapman T-77, but over time I also used the Kingsound King electrostatics. One of the Pathos Classic One MkIII integrated amps is not enough to drive the big electrostatic speakers well, but two units in bridged mode, or "Pathi" as I referred to them, will get the job done.

The amplifier which replaced the Pathi is the Wells Audio Innamorata, and while one of them can drive the King ESL, two of them passively vertically biamped are superb.
Douglas,
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and letting me know more about Innamorata amp too.
I have ML Spire ESL and unsure about the capabilities of Innamorata to power Spires since their impedence curve should be quite different from Kings Sound ESL.
BTW, I enjoy reading your articles. : )