External DAC For Oppo 105 At What Cost?

Approximately how much would you have to spend on an external DAC to significantly better the sound of the internal Dac in the Oppo 105?
128x128mitch4t
Interesting question but I would tend to believe that the output stage and power supply of a modded 105 would be significantly better than an separate DAC, that is unless MAYBE you were to spend a significant amount more for a separate DAC. There is no way of knowing this without listening to better DACs' than some of the ABOVE recommended, excluding the Lampizator which I haven't heard. Changing out an op-amp IS NOT going to compensate for a better designed power supply and output stage IMHO. I feel quite certain, based on my experience most of the above mentioned would not improve on a modded 105, just a hunch but I have some experience with the 95 and 5 different outboard DACs. The Modwright "truth mod" is definitely, hands down in another league. Good question Mitch but really tough to answer to the satisfaction of what you are looking for as a definitive answer.
Tubegroover, thanks for your response, I really appreciate it. I am currently using an Audio Research CD7 cd player. I love the sound of my player. However, I listen to Pandora and Rhapsody much more than I play cd's only because it is much more convenient. I can get about $4500 for it if I sold it.

I like the idea of the Oppo 105 because it would allow me to stream my ripped cd's from a hard drive. Streaming my ripped music would give me the convenience that I get from Rhapsody & Pandora with much greater resolution.

The whole point of my question is, I'd want the Oppo 105 with an improved DAC to at least equal the sound of my current cd player. How much would I have to spend on an improved DAC if I bought the Oppo 105 to equal or better the sound of my CD7? I currently don't have a serious DAC/hard drive system to stream my ripped cd's

The new Audio Research CD9 comes equipped with a DAC that accepts inputs, including USB. It costs $13k and I just don't have that kind of scratch.

From what I've read in the above posts, the Modwright Oppo 105 seems to be the ticket.

Thanks to all of you for your positive input, I really appreciate it.

mitch
After owning a Burmester 089 and GNSC modded Wadia S7i, I can without reservation, recommend the ModWright Oppo 105 with tube rolling.
Mitch, I've owned the stock Oppo 105 and found its sound acceptable but not stellar. If you have CD7 you probably will be disappointed by a stock 105.

Adding an external DAC will get you computer audio capability, but the 105 is not a great red book CD transport either. Again it's acceptable but not stellar, I've compared it to Theta/CEC etc. And I found the 105's SPDIF output is actually 48kHz instead of 44.1kHz. The conversion from 44.1 to 48 is never a good thing!

On DVD and Bluray, the 105's SPDIF output is also 48kHz, I called Oppo to verify, no, it doesn't give you 24/96 unless it's via HDMI.

So, 44.1 becomes 48, 96/192 also becomes 48, the 105 as a disc transport is useless for audiophiles.

So my suggestion is either modify the 105 to the highest level, or go for a high-end DAC and leave the 105 intact for home theater duties.