downloading music versus cd `s quality

Greetings
I have been reading a lot about quality of digital music, and the question is: can I transfer all my cd~ to my Mac, then upgrade the sound quality on the Mac , via a software program, or do I need to start from scratch and download music that is already in HD?
also, can someone explain the difference between regular cd and 24 Bit/192kHz ? What is the best way to get digital quality music, in other words? Much obliged.
I am a digital neophyte!
rockanroller
Rockanroller,

It sounds like you are interested in setting up a computer audio system. I recently converted my system to a primarily computer audio setup and will try to clarify a few things for you. I haven't updated my system profile yet but plan to soon. I don't consider myself an expert yet; just someone who took the plunge into computer and high resolution audio after reading fairly extensively about it. I'm definitely pleased with my decision and the results. Here are a few things I learned along the way that may help you shorten your learning curve:

1. CD is 16bit/ 44.1 KHZ with the '16 bit' being the WORD LENGTH and the '44.1 KHZ' being the SAMPLE RATE. HD (high definition) and HR (high resolution) audio is generally reserved for audio files stored and played back of longer word lengths and higher sample rates (24bit/96khz, 24bit/192khz, etc.).

2. Computer audio is not necessarily the same as high definition or high resolution audio. Ripping all your CDs to a computer will enable the use of computer audio. This is tremendously convenient but the audio quality will be about the same as if played via a CD player, no better and no worse. High resolution audio files, preferably recorded in high resolution , will need to be downloaded to enable computer audio AND high resolution audio.

If you plan to play back through your main audio system, you will also need a good external DAC that is capable of converting high resolution digital files into analog signals. The internal DACs in laptops are not typically capable and, even if they are capable, they're not typically very good.

3. 'Provenance' is critical when choosing which files to download to achieve the best sound quality. Provenance refers to the history of the high resolution file; mainly the distinction between those recorded directly using high resolution equipment and those that are merely transfers from standard definition masters.

The major content providers (record labels) have been rushing to transfer their existing masters (previously used for vinyl record and CD production) to high resolution formats in order to capitalize on the increasing market for high resolution audio downloads. Unfortunately, the resulting files are high resolution in name only.

There are, however, several high resolution download companies that understand the importance of provenance and offer downloads recorded directly as high resolution digital files. Itrax in California and Liaison in Europe are 2 I know of. They don't offer the variety of artists that the major record labels do but the sound quality is excellent.

4. I recommend the use of JRiver Media Center software ($50 for either Apple or Windows versions) for ease of use, megadata and organizational purposes.

5. You may also want to consider a NAS (Network Area Server) and a backup hard drive. The NAS would store all of your CD and downloaded files. The external hard drive would serve as a backup and contain automatic copies of all your music in case of a system crash. I use a 2TB NAS and 2TB backup drive all controlled by my laptop running Jzriver and connected wirelessly via my wi-fi router. This also frees up your laptop storage for other purposes.

In my system, the hi-res files (24bit/92khz FLAC files)sound clearly superior to my ripped CDS; better detail, better dynamics and more of a "in the room" quality.

I hope this helped you a bit,
Tim
So, after reading all those answers a few times, here are two questions:
one: audio software:does anyone recommends any audio software upgrade such as Amarra or any other, which would lead to the fact that can you really upsample, or is it a misnomer, and the only form of HD digital audio are only select companies?
two: budget DAC ! is the difference in price of DAC`s really indicative of quality, or can you get something good for about $ 700, made for computer versus cd players ?
three: connect: is it better to use HDMI, or digital coaxial?
Whoaah! thank you for the lessons.
"one: audio software:does anyone recommends any audio software upgrade such as Amarra or any other, which would lead to the fact that can you really upsample, or is it a misnomer, and the only form of HD digital audio are only select companies?"

Sometimes people have hang ups when it comes to up sampling. They say since a CD is locked at the 16/44 standard, there's no benefit up sampling because you can't get anything more off the CD than what's originally on it. Technically speaking, that's true. But up-sampling does change the way the music sounds. Its easier to visualize if you don't look at up-sampling as increased resolution. Think of it as signal processing. For me, personally, I usually prefer it. I hear a little more detail and an overall smoother presentation to the sound.

"two: budget DAC ! is the difference in price of DAC`s really indicative of quality, or can you get something good for about $ 700, made for computer versus cd players ?"

This is another issue that's easier to understand if you visualize. A CD player and a PC are exactly the same thing. If you properly rip a CD, there should be no loss. The information is still there, its just stored on a HD instead of an optical drive. Its the same basic thing, either way. If you take a picture with a digital camera, the image file may be stored on an SD card. You can move the picture to a HD, CD, DVD, Flash Drive, etc..., and as long as you don't do anything to change the data the pic is made from, you'll get the exact same image on your computer screen, regardless of how its stored. There's no loss. So once you rip a CD, still think of it as a CD. The PC is the transport, and the data gets sent from the transport to the DAC for processing. Exactly like a CD player does. And just like a CD player, there's many different ways to get you to an end result. So, for example, if you have an entry level PC audio setup, and a really high end CD player, you can expect the CD player to sound better. If you have a crappy CD player and a really high end PC source, you can expect the computer to sound better. So just think of your computer as a CD player, because that's exactly what you're doing.

If you remember my first post, I recommend that you set yourself up for CD playback first. (using a computer). The reason for that is you then have a reference that you can use to better judge hi rez playback. Once you feel confident that you know the sound of your PC like you would a CD player, you need the reference to make sure you are going in the right direction. Obviously, you're going to want to make sure your hi rez material is definitely sounding better than the same thing on CD. And for that, you need a good reference. Its too easy to waste money in audio.
Noble100, I encourage you to look into software such as HQPlayer, which up samples radically and a DAC which can handle it, i.e. double DSD, etc.

The difference in experience is not subtle, but rather profound. You will not be disappointed! The standard in terms of digital quality playback has moved far afield, from 24/384 to 32/5.6MHz or similar.

I was elated that last night I was able to eek out a bit more from the HQPlayer's settings. The computer wiz who set up the software got it to 5.6MHz, but I found out that the EE DAC Supreme also operates at 6.14MHz, and even this seemingly small jump was efficacious.

There are profound benefits to be had in seeking such software/DAC combos. No hi-res files necessary. That's not to say true hi-res files wouldn't sound even better, but this is fabulous bang for the buck sound.