downloading music versus cd `s quality

Greetings
I have been reading a lot about quality of digital music, and the question is: can I transfer all my cd~ to my Mac, then upgrade the sound quality on the Mac , via a software program, or do I need to start from scratch and download music that is already in HD?
also, can someone explain the difference between regular cd and 24 Bit/192kHz ? What is the best way to get digital quality music, in other words? Much obliged.
I am a digital neophyte!
rockanroller
Noble100, even if your current DAC can handle only DSD it will be worth it. Any upgrade in the future to a DAC which does multiple DSD will be very enjoyed.

I hope that Eastern Electric will soon offer an upgraded version to handle quad and octa DSD capable DAC. I believe the ifi Micro DSD is capable of octa. Time to put that back in the rig and see what happens. Though one cannot roll discrete opamps, the capacity to do quad or octa DSD would be stunning, I imagine. Then, I'd have to work with cords to tune the sound...
Hi Douglas,

I was just reading about a PS Audio DAC that also up converts CDs to DSD and supposedly dramatically improves the sound of ripped CDs. This is very interesting and appealing to me. However, I don't know if it's worth thousands of dollars to me right now.

I currently use an Oppo 105 as a DAC and Digital audio player (in combination with a NAS and laptop running JRiver Media Center) and looking into whether HQ Player is compatible with my setup and equipment.

I'm always open to possible improvements.

Thanks,
Tim
I own the Sony HAPZ1ES and it's sublime. Check out the specs & reviews. Game changer, history will show imo.
Scot-w,

Yes, the Sony HAPZIES is a very good solution for those who want a one box solution and don't want to deal with a laptop, software, wi-fi/router, separate dac, NAS and a backup hard drive, although I think a backup drive may be needed for the Sony. Kind of like having a receiver or integrated instead of separates.

Tim