The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker
I have spoken to several people who have considered the Puppys to be far overpriced for what they do. FWIW.
You can always find people to confirm any opinion, and they'll virtually line up to disparage a successful product or company. I suspect you'll find many 938 owners comparing their speakers to the WPs, but few (if any) WP owners replacing them with 938s because of the same claim. Other than the obvious aesthetic mimicry, the 938 does not compare the WP, at least not to the WP7 or WP8. Not even in the same ballpark, IMO.

Back to the previously scheduled program...
Wilson sure spends oodles on advertising. Good for them. Personally, I find their ads to be very dull/ ho hum. I'd shop around for a different firm/different approach. I have not heard the Wilson 8s, but if they are anything like their others? Just not wild about their sound. I know of a Wilson Alexandria owner, and a Maxx owner, as well, who (way lower in price) who made the switch and was very happy. Just a little fwiw.
Sorry to digress on this thread, but I just have to ask Howard (since you won't reply to my emails) if he was the Howard Parr on the music credits from the move Mysterious Skin? I know you are a musician and I was just wondering. I realize Evita (Howard's wife) hates me, (woman hold grudges so much longer than guys) but maybe she will let you answer on the 'gon? thanks in advance, warren :)
Boa2,

There is a thread here on agon somewhere started by WP (6 or 7) owner who did in fact replace them with 938s.

I have a co-worker who has the Wilsons. Maybe Ill get to hear them someday.
Rockadanny, I suspect you've figured it out by now, but after reading the posts by Gawdbless, you know why low-fi and mid-fi exist. Geez, I wonder what drew him to this site? I suspect he could find nirvana on E-bay in the boom box section.