Audio Research PH-2 Phono Stage

Is anyone familiar with this phono stage? How does it compare with others (tube and solid) in about the $500-1000 range?
linfield
Buy the PH3 on audiogon for $995 if you are considering 500-1000 price range -- better sound in every aspect. In the "new today" ads. I do not have any affiliation with the seller or ARC in any way.
I've got AR PH3(6692 output) used for $900. It is very hard for anyone to say what is better in this price range than AR PH3. There is a large possibility to upgrade it to PH3SE by buying just only parts and requesting an upgrade sketch and sequence. PH3SE will mate with some $4k phonos like BAT or Herron.
PH-2 is by all means the worst sounding phono amp ever produced by anyone despite its original high price tag ($2450). It has only 48dB gain and you cannot adjust the load. It only supports XLR in/out. Worst of all, it sounds rather poorly. Edgy high and exaggerated bass and mid-bass. I unfortunately owned one for a brief moment and got rid off it after losing 40% of what I paid which is quite significant in the used market. For under $1K, PH3 is a far better choice choice although it also has relatively low gain.