I finally bought a record cleaning machine $

I finally bought a RCM (VPI 16.5). While it most definitely makes for blacker backgrounds and removes a lot of the ticks and pops I seem to be picking up a lot of new noise that wasn't there before (a static sound). I am using Record Research Labs cleaner and (Deep cleaner on the really dirty stuff) followed by Last record preservative. I am trying not to run the vacum any more than I have to, as I read this can cause excessive static. My room is not overly dry or anything............... So what gives. Right now I am kinda bummed; I thought this was going to be the holy grail of those perfectly noise free records I have been dreaming about. Am I missing something? Do I have to spend more $$$ on one of those Zerostat guns?

Please help.

Chris

P.S. Sorry if this has already been discussed. I am lazy to search through the myriad of posts on RCM's right now.
cmo
Nsgarch, sorry not to give appropriate credit for first mention. I knew I'd seen that comment already, but when I went back looking for it I only spotted it the second time in Albert's post.

I have been reading Justin-time's posts and the ensuing conversation. Very worthwhile thread.
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. I tried taking the opposite approach and vacuming the records more instead of less and it has made a difference........... Things are as they I thought they should be REALLY QUIET.... Wa Hoo!!! I honestly can't tell the difference with or without the Last preservative. I think I'll stick with it since it was a dealer recommendation.

I have been wondering whether I should address some of the comments that have creeped into this thread (since others have already done so quite eloquently). I guess in the end I feel some responsibility since I started the ball rolling.

Anyway.... Audiogone haas been a really cool thing for me personally. I have made some friends, learned a lot about audio systems and music but, mainly I have been entertained. There are so many things that go on in the world (both good and bad) that "put things in perspective". Of course the smart person learns form these things and grows from them. Albert seems like a person who has learned from his experiences in life. I don't know him but, to me he has always tried to post sincere thoughts and comments in order to help others. The one time I spoke with him in person (on the phone actually)he offered to lend me his Wolcott amps so I could check them out in my system becouse there wasn't a dealer where I live (I doubt he even remembers). He would have been trusting a person who he didn't know and, would have been without his own system for a while.... Just to be nice.........I don't know but that seems like a pretty well adjusted individual to me.

Why is it that I sometimes read offended (or should that be offensive) comments on Audiogone. I think 99.9% of us are in this hobby for the same reasons... It was a simple question and as usual the Audiogone community was very helpful in trying to find a solution to my problem.

Thanks again

Chris

Albert: I see no reason for you to have apologized. When I read "Plato's" posts, my first reaction was, "Geez, where were those sour grapes, Plato?"

It might have been an opportune time to lash out at you, using the Katrina disaster as an excuse.

That's my gut feeling about the matter. If I am wrong .... If Plato gets "set off" this easily, then I strongly reccommend some counciling for his greif, in which he can get help at either his local Red Cross or Catholic Charities.

Best wishes,

Jack Seaton
Congrat's Cmo on a wise purchase. I think Albert made a key point that needs reinforcing. To have a quiet background and support the long life of a record, not to mention stylus, we all need to have a somewhat fastidious routine of cleaning and a vacuum machine plays a big part. When a record comes into my house (new or used) it gets put next to my VPI record cleaner and doesn’t get played until it has been thoroughly inspected and cleaned by me at least once. A good halogen light helps for seeing everything on the vinyl. This discipline keeps grim from being initially driven deep into the record grooves or even welded (if you will) to the groove by stylus heat and pressure, never to come out. I now have very few new noisy records and actually found a stone molded into one of my new records from Germany recently. That stone, if went unchecked would have torn the cantilever right out of my new Linn Akiva moving coil. Needless to say, I could have missed it with just a quick wipe and play! And if it’s any consolation, I too could not afford to replace my record collection. Cheers!