About Lugnut -- Patrick Malone

Many of us have come to know Patrick Malone (Lugnut) as a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and kind individual. He is a frequent and enthusiastic contributor to our analog discussion forum. He has initiated only 17 threads, but responded to 559 threads. I would guess that many, if not most, of us can recall a time when Pat replied with helpful advice to a question we posted or helped us track down a rare recording. I have come to love Pat as a friend, and to respect him as a man, and I suspect many of you share those feelings.

Today I write to share difficult news with you. Pat has been diagnosed with an aggressive stomach cancer. It has yet to be determined whether surgery will even be worth it. If surgery is performed, most or all of the stomach will be removed, and Pat would face a difficult and long post-op period in the hospital. The medical course is still uncertain, but will be determined soon. Whatever is decided, it will not be easy or pleasant.

Something may be planned in the future to assist the family. For now, Pat could use some of the friendship he so often and willingly showed us. You can email Pat at: lugnut50@msn.com. You can also mail cards, letters ... or whatever. You may email me for Pat's mailing address. My email is: pfrumkin1@comcast.net.

I hope to spend a few days with Pat in Idaho or Nebraska (from which he hails) soon. Between this news, my legal work, getting ready for family arriving for the holidays, Audio Intelligent, and trying to make plans to visit Pat, my head is spinning. If you email me and I don't respond, please understand that I am not ignoring you, but rather simply do not have time to reply.

Pat may or may not have time to respond to posts here, to emails, or to cards mailed to him. But he has asked me to convey to each and every one of you that he has cherished your friendship, your comradery, and sharing our common hobby on this great website.

As we prepare for our holiday season celebrations, and look forward to -- as we should -- enjoying this time of year, I ask that you keep Pat and his family in mind ... and softly offer up, in quiet moments in the still of night and early morning, prayers for Pat and his family. God bless.

Warmest regards to all,
Paul Frumkin
paul_frumkin
Pat, I think it's safe to say we Audiogoners speak with one voice when I say how sad it is to hear this news. You're one of the good guys here ... actually, one of the best ... and we wish you could stick around forever. But none of us have a "forever" ticket in life, and the best we can do is to make the best of the time we are given ... short or long. As I see it, you've been doing just that, and I have little doubt that you will continuing doing just that.

Quite a few of us have pitched in with various contributions, which we hope will make your days a little more pleasant. (In a couple days, I will start a separate thread about that). This thread, the calls, cards and letters you've received, and the items you will soon receive, are a living testament to how much we all care for you, how much we wish you well, and how much we wish to brighten your days. If only a cure was ours to send your way, it would have already arrived on your doorstep wrapped in bows and ribbons!

Pat, I'm sure this news was not easy to share with us. Thank you for your courage. We hope that same courage serves you well in the days that lay ahead, and that in each one of them, you find enough that is good to keep keeping on.

With warmest regards,
Paul
Pat,

Thank you for the update, and please never hesitate to share your whole story with your friends. That's what we're here for, even if we're sometimes too frightened to know what to say. Though it seems backwards and some might think it unfair, you actually have to be brave for us. Most of us have not yet walked the path you're on, so you have to show us the best way.

Get on the chemo and fight. Get on with enjoying the music too. And don't forget there are certain substances that reportedly can help you with both, even better than cheeseburgers and fries!

I know what you mean about live piano vs. recorded piano. That must have been quite a treat. We also have a friend with grand pianos in his home. I keep dreaming my system will someday fool me into believing I'm hearing one. Like Don Quixote, I'm tilting at windmills!

Doug
Pat,
It's good to hear from you, thanks for sharing the good/bad news. It sounds like the day was pretty good overall, take away the doc talk. Guess what? They're not always right anyway. I know, I got two ex- brother-in-laws that are doc's. They're as human as the rest of us. Now it's up to you to prove 'em wrong.

I went in the hospital for a procedure on my right knee just before Christmas. It called for local anesthetic. Well didn't the d@mn doctor start scrubbing up my left knee. I yelled out 'WHOAAAH NELLY!'. Then he started scrubbing up the wrong side of my right knee, his technician pointed this out. He finally did the procedure, and they cleaned up where they had gone in. When I got home I showed my wife, my left knee, and the outside of my right knee were still stained brown from the surgical scrub! They only cleaned up the third and final scrub, the place they went in!

Just a short story to let you know that doctors aren't infallable. Keeping your spirits up and staying positive is more important than letting some doctor bring you down. You need to live longer just to spite that SOB! That'll show 'em. They ain't God!

Give 'em hell Pat!

Best Regards,
John
Goo luck, Pat. As you can see, we all think about you every day, and as hard as it may be, the personal contact is good for all of us. Hang in there, my friend.
HI Pat,
Being in a family with full of physicians,i want you to know that doctor will tell you only theory that their insurance allow them to say.dont give up hope and keep fighting on.I am a pharmacy owner,i ran into many customer with many different illness.one of my closest customer is someone that his doctor told him that he have 6 months to live,and that was almost 7 years ago..hang in there buddy.