About Lugnut -- Patrick Malone

Many of us have come to know Patrick Malone (Lugnut) as a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and kind individual. He is a frequent and enthusiastic contributor to our analog discussion forum. He has initiated only 17 threads, but responded to 559 threads. I would guess that many, if not most, of us can recall a time when Pat replied with helpful advice to a question we posted or helped us track down a rare recording. I have come to love Pat as a friend, and to respect him as a man, and I suspect many of you share those feelings.

Today I write to share difficult news with you. Pat has been diagnosed with an aggressive stomach cancer. It has yet to be determined whether surgery will even be worth it. If surgery is performed, most or all of the stomach will be removed, and Pat would face a difficult and long post-op period in the hospital. The medical course is still uncertain, but will be determined soon. Whatever is decided, it will not be easy or pleasant.

Something may be planned in the future to assist the family. For now, Pat could use some of the friendship he so often and willingly showed us. You can email Pat at: lugnut50@msn.com. You can also mail cards, letters ... or whatever. You may email me for Pat's mailing address. My email is: pfrumkin1@comcast.net.

I hope to spend a few days with Pat in Idaho or Nebraska (from which he hails) soon. Between this news, my legal work, getting ready for family arriving for the holidays, Audio Intelligent, and trying to make plans to visit Pat, my head is spinning. If you email me and I don't respond, please understand that I am not ignoring you, but rather simply do not have time to reply.

Pat may or may not have time to respond to posts here, to emails, or to cards mailed to him. But he has asked me to convey to each and every one of you that he has cherished your friendship, your comradery, and sharing our common hobby on this great website.

As we prepare for our holiday season celebrations, and look forward to -- as we should -- enjoying this time of year, I ask that you keep Pat and his family in mind ... and softly offer up, in quiet moments in the still of night and early morning, prayers for Pat and his family. God bless.

Warmest regards to all,
Paul Frumkin
paul_frumkin
Barb, could you let Pat know about a dream I had last night, a dream that had him in it. Well in this dream my time on earth was apperently up and for some reason, I must have done some good things, I was entering the pearly gates. I was pretty calm, and a little proud of all of my accomplishments. The first person I saw was my best little Beagle "Chloe". The next person to show up, wouldn't you know it, was Lugnut. Recognized me right away though we have only met over the phone. He was driving a big red convertible car with big fins on the back. He was wearing that pilot hat on that we have seen here on Audiogon. He yelled to me to jump in, a concert was starting. Well I jumped in the car and wouldn't you know it, instead of a CD player in the dash old Lugnut grabed a 12" LP and slid it into a very narrow and wide slot in the dash board. He looked at me with a wide smile and said "took a little work but now, it's Heaven".
I woke up this morning with a big smile of my face and deep in my heart I know things will work out.
Pat, I look forward to our meeting. And the concert.
Pat, as I commented to my uncle a couple months ago the day before he died from cancer.

I asked if he was still smoking. He told me in a frail voice, "Yes a little." I told him he needed to think about quiting those, because they could kill him. I left his house seeing a big grin on his face. A good way to remember him.

So Pat, you too need to quite those nasty things, "They could kill you." ;-)

I love you.
Please look up and say thanks. Pat is now resting comfortably and sleeping more than hour at a time. His stomach is being drained through a tube in his nose but he is still determined to stand up to take a leak. We will cherish this day and enjoy our many friends that stop by.
Until next time. Barb
Barb, thanks for the good news. Honestly when I saw the Lugnut moniker listed as the last person to respond I was a little worried about what I might see. I'm glad the bed and tube are working, and it seems as if the new meds are less hard on Pat's body.

Thank you too, for taking on another, and difficult job, of keeping us informed of what's taking place with our friend.

The prayers continue, as does the love...
arb, tell Pat that a friend of mine and I loaded a bowl last night in his honor(no not that knid). I am talking here of the sacred Pipe of the native peoples. Prayers were said, and my friend was moved that someone could share something as serious as death with others he supposedly does not know(he's a neo-luddite :)-~ ). We love you Man. Peace, Derek.