About Lugnut -- Patrick Malone

Many of us have come to know Patrick Malone (Lugnut) as a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and kind individual. He is a frequent and enthusiastic contributor to our analog discussion forum. He has initiated only 17 threads, but responded to 559 threads. I would guess that many, if not most, of us can recall a time when Pat replied with helpful advice to a question we posted or helped us track down a rare recording. I have come to love Pat as a friend, and to respect him as a man, and I suspect many of you share those feelings.

Today I write to share difficult news with you. Pat has been diagnosed with an aggressive stomach cancer. It has yet to be determined whether surgery will even be worth it. If surgery is performed, most or all of the stomach will be removed, and Pat would face a difficult and long post-op period in the hospital. The medical course is still uncertain, but will be determined soon. Whatever is decided, it will not be easy or pleasant.

Something may be planned in the future to assist the family. For now, Pat could use some of the friendship he so often and willingly showed us. You can email Pat at: lugnut50@msn.com. You can also mail cards, letters ... or whatever. You may email me for Pat's mailing address. My email is: pfrumkin1@comcast.net.

I hope to spend a few days with Pat in Idaho or Nebraska (from which he hails) soon. Between this news, my legal work, getting ready for family arriving for the holidays, Audio Intelligent, and trying to make plans to visit Pat, my head is spinning. If you email me and I don't respond, please understand that I am not ignoring you, but rather simply do not have time to reply.

Pat may or may not have time to respond to posts here, to emails, or to cards mailed to him. But he has asked me to convey to each and every one of you that he has cherished your friendship, your comradery, and sharing our common hobby on this great website.

As we prepare for our holiday season celebrations, and look forward to -- as we should -- enjoying this time of year, I ask that you keep Pat and his family in mind ... and softly offer up, in quiet moments in the still of night and early morning, prayers for Pat and his family. God bless.

Warmest regards to all,
Paul Frumkin
paul_frumkin
Many others have said it far more eloquent than I what Pat and Barb mean to us all. Pat has the rest and peace he deserves, as does Barb. Pat reminded us of what we would all like to be like, in the prime of our life, and the end. For what its worth, this quote always causes me pause to reflect

No man is an island, entire of itself; every
man is a piece of the continent, a part of the
main. If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory
were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or
of thine own were: any man's death diminishes
me, because I am involved in mankind, and
therefore never send to know for whom the bells
tolls; it tolls for thee."

John Donne

Rest Well

Gary
Deepest and most sincere condolences to the family.
This has been a special thread.

Rest in peace our audio friend......

Chris
South Africa
Last night when I arrived at Pat’s house, I noticed that yard lights in the brick planters were on. Those were the ones that our friends from Nebraska/Iowa, Mick Maun and Steve Smith, had rebuilt for Pat this spring. As many times as I have been to Pat’s house, I can’t remember ever seeing those lights shine as brightly.

Pat was barely conscious. I sat next to him and remembered the kid with the duck-tail haircut that I met in fourth grade. A few minutes later, Pat’s eyes fluttered, he spoke my name and reached out to shake my hand. I was so choked up (as now) that I could not reply. We shook hands and he faded away. He didn’t say another word in the hour that I was there. I spoke my last goodbye, left for home and now he is gone.

To all of you who have posted on this forum, who have called and e-mailed Pat, who have sent him equipment and music and who have offered their unconditional love and support, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I was there and can tell you that Pat was absolutely overwhelmed and appreciative to his last day. You all have meant the world to him. I know you feel as I do, that Pat has done so much for us that we can never pay him back. Paul, thank you again for being the catalyst of one of the most amazing things I have ever seen.

Pat---Long May You Run.

Goodbye Old Friend.

Bill
Pat and Barb,

I sit silent and mum......at a loss for words.......but in my silence, I can picture you .... that's all I want now.

All I can think of is your enthusiam, livelihood, encouragement, candidness, kindness and the support.

You also gave a new meaning to this site, and helped us share our inner feelings with you and amongst ourselves, hence getting closer to each other.

Thanks for the big hug you gave me when we first met in San Francisco. I cherish that so much.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Nami, Sora, Mehran
What a brave and generous soul. I've been following this thread for months without knowing quite what to say. May you rest in peace Patrick knowing that you've made the lives of those you left behind richer for having known you in whatever small way we did.