SME V setup

FWIW:

I discovered recently (after acquiring a new DB cartridge alignment protractor,) that using the factory provided alignment tool (for the SME V anyway) produced results that were really just a close approximation.

After doing a precision alignment/overhang adjustment on my just-broken-in-after-100-hours Transfiguration Temper W, (and without changing any other setup parameters) the soundstage and the placement of instruments and soloists, gained a quantum leap in performance that I was totally unprepared for.

I'm sure some of you are going "Well, Duh!" But the kicker is, that I had been informed at CES, by one of the senior management people with a well known audio accessories vendors (no names) that sells DB alignment tools, that I shouldn't waste my money on one, because the tool that came with the SME was more accurate! Go figure.....

128x128nsgarch
Dear Jfrech: +++++ " What I haven't done is go back and check overhang ... " +++++

Before you do that, check that the distance between the center of the V to the center of the spindle is right on target.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
I find the DB to be much more accurate than the supplied SME paper one.

Have they fixed the case for the DB? It was always tight, but now I have to use pliers to remove it. 'Course, I bought it when they were only $20...
SME's approach to everything is one of extreme accuracy and leaves nothing to chance. Their method of alignment is simple and easy to effect. The only criticism I have is that the hole of the alignment protractor is a loose fit over the plastic sleeve that fits over the spindle allowing the possibility of variable results. In any event, there are a number of different alignment theories about the location of the null points and other parameters such as overhang etc. that I wonder if alignment is little more than a guess or an opinion. The most commonly used one, Baerwald's, is said to be inaccurate because it was an approximation and that the Loefgren one is more accurate. Then their is Stevenson's and a number of others. So I don't know????
The key here is having a cart with a cantilever/stylus precisely aligned, the V doesnt allow for alignments "out of square" easily. Ive found with good straight carts (soundsmith, clearaudio, lyra etc) they pop right in with the supplied guide and a little tuning by ear of sra/vta vtf and possible tiny overhang adjustments. With a few out of whack carts couldnt get it to work at all.