Lamm LP2 and WE417A tubes

I recently purchased one of these and it really is a world class phono stage. Over the years I've had both Pass ONO units, the CJ pr15, an earlier version Aesthetix IO, and lots of lesser units. It is by far the best sounding with the possible exception of the IO.

I was suprised to find Raytheon 5842's in after reading the claim on their website:

Its unique circuitry utilizes specially selected very low noise high trans-conductance Western Electric 417A / 5842 vacuum tubes.

When I asked them about this they said that the dash between 417A and 5842 means "or." They told me that the WE tubes are too expensive and hard to get so they use the Raytheon. In my opinion this is being deceptive since WE also stamped their tubes with 5842 and Lamm invokes the WE name with no intention of ever using the tubes.

So now I sit here and wonder if I'm missing something by not getting some real WE 417A's to try, but I don't want to spend that kind of money if it doesn't change things for the better.

Has anyone tried real Western Electric tubes in it?
herman
Wow! $500 for just a pair of EL34 and 6 12ax7's for the PS? Something is very wrong with that. I just put in a pair of EI EL34's and 6 EI 12ax7's for a combined $98 in the Io and it sounds mighty good. I must try the same with the Callisto which has Mullard EL34s and Telefunken 12ax7....but another day. Anyway, you're a happy camper with the LP2.
Sorry for the confusion, I meant $500 for a full set of tubes, power supply and phonocorrector.
what do you lp2 owners out there think of using the clearaudio titanium cartridge with this unit?If not what are some of the best choices, I currently have a transfiguration temper W...
@ Romy... "I would like to point out (again) that Lamm LP2 was initially designed to address the very specific and very restricted level of audio consciousnessÂ… I am glad that you found the match"

So, let me get this right..... Lamm has psychologists designing their gear now??!!
you are always very humorous, your writing style, as quirky as it is, never fails to entertain! Thank you for the laughs.

I currently own the LP 2 Deluxe with WE 417a tubes and find their performance improves resolution vs the stock Raytheons. I believe Lamm designed it for the WE 417a and intended at one point to put these tubes in the LP12, but their cost and microphonic nature made this decision not practical for a consumer product.

I own several phono stages and have used numerous phono stages including the IO Eclipse with 2 power supplies, which I enjoyed immensely, but think the Lamm has its own signature, which can or can not compliment a system. If your system is boarding on excessive resolution, you will need to voice your LP 12 with different, power supply tubes, power cords or interconnects, etc to see if it will be a good fit. In fact in some cases it not be the best fit with your other components.

It has enough gain for most cartridges, but not the really tough ones such as Koetsu.

When properly dialed in it can offer exceptional bass response and transparency, which are at the top of the class.

I really do not believe Lamm was trying to deceive anyone in mentioning the 417a as I believe he designed the unit with this tube in mind, but it was not practical in the end, as noted above.