The Cyclicality of Black Vs Silver

Lately, I can't decide if I prefer the silver or black faceplates which are available for my various Audio Research components.

This reminds me that just like car manufacturers, audio companies seem to go back and forth between silver and black cases, no doubt to try and grab the market's attention with something "new"?

Personally, I can't stand silver or chrome trim on any cars made after about 1975, but I notice that some new cars are going back to chrome trim around the windows.

What are your thoughts on silver? Black? Or God forbid, iPod or 1980's Adcom white?

What makes for the most timelessly stylish audio components?

Happy Thanksgiving,
cwlondon
James Tanner of Bryston said that black sells more in 2 channel, and silver sells more in home theater. He didn't know why, but that's what his sales figures were.

I had a black faceplate on my Bryston B60. Recently moved and my system is in the living room, in a cabinet with all silver/sliverish stuff - cable box, XBox, and Apple TV. Changed the B60's faceplate to silver and it looks a lot better.

I use to like black, but I guess I'm going through a silver phase. Now my DAC sticks out like a sore thumb being the only black component in the cabinet.
Black for me...Clayton, Lamm, Lector no other choice, and that suits me fine.
If I had more money than common sense I'd have all my componants' faces done in black suade with black leather knobs.