Linn LP12......That good??

I have an Ariston RD80 (very good) and a Thorens TD 160, also very good.
How good are the Linn Lp12 tt's??
I am always looking for the best most impressive sound.
I will have to sell the Ariston/Thorens if i buy the Linn because i will not need 3 turntables!
The Ariston almost looks like the Linn by the way.
So how great are the Linn's and what is the best combination to buy?
Thanks!
x1884
Cleopatra52: Do you recall what arm and cartridge were on the LP12 you heard? When you say recent version, I assume it was Lingo (version II) with a Cirkus bearing. But the difference between an Ittok and an Ekos, or even between an Ekos I and an Ekos II (especially one with an Akiva mounted) is very dramatic.

I of course have no problem with people who have actually heard a full spec LP12 and compared it fairly to another table, and then concluded that they like the other table better (for example, a VPI TNT). But the specifics about the arms and cartridges involved are critical for the comparison to be very meaningful.
Cleopatra52, Nice to hear your well-rounded TT experience and balanced assessment of how the Linn Sondek holds up today. You have a perspective that many of us don’t, including myself. I have enjoyed my Lp12 since 1983 but couldn't draw those direct comparisons.
Thanks.
I'm glad I saw this post.
I can either upgrade my pre lingo/cirkus lp12 with lingo/cirkus or start looking for another TT, which will prob be a VPI Scoutmaster/sds. I like the general sound of the LP12, so I'm a little torn. Also, I can't upgrade the Ittok and afford the lingo/cirkus, so the Ittok will stay. Your insights would be welcomed.
Thanks
Yes - It is that good.
I sold Linn in the mid 70's and also Ariston.
Do you want to know why Ariston looks like Linn???
It basically is a Linn.
Ariston parts are largely "cosmetically" rejected Linn parts.
We looked at several Ariston platters - looks just like Linn - but the "balancing weights" needed to be re-machined.
You don't see that on a linn.
The wooden plinth on the Aristons - if you look closely - is not flawless like the Linn is.

The Linn philosophy is bizarre, but it works.
If you tighten everything "white nuckle tight" like Linn says - it WILL sound better than if you dont.
Also - if the suspension is not set up PERFECTLY - it could even sound bad.
It's an extremely difficult turntable to set up - it can be close to an all day effort if done correctly.

Maybe the Linn's have a better bearing - or the "prime picks", so you might be better off with the Linn.
I'm not sure if the Linn upgrades work on the Ariston, 30 years is too long ago to remember.

I now have a Basis Turntable. I'm not sure which is better.

In 1980 I had a LP-12, Syrinx arm and Fidelity Research cartridge.
That was by far the best source I ever had.
Now I have the Basis 1400, RB-900 and Benz LO-4 cartridge and I feel it is no where near as good.

In my mind I somehow think that the Syrinx / FR combo is what I am missing, but maybe the LP-12 played a big part in that.

Everyone I know who owned a Linn loved it. You would probably be the same. Just remember all those bizarre set-up rituals REALLY DO make a very big difference, even if they do not maks sense

Steve
Holmejr,

You don't want to upgrade from the Ittok unless you are spending a lot of money. It's a killer arm.

Rotary,

I still have my old FR cartridge from the day. What wonderful products FR made!