VPI periphery record ring for VPI Scoutmaster

How much of an improvement does the VPI steel periphery record ring make? Do you think it's worth the $500 US retail price? Or would it be advisable to first look for the SDS, then afterwards purchase the ring? I'll be using it on a Scoutmaster turntable.
lornoah
It looks,in the only picture I've seen, to be possibly attached to the junction box. Seems more likely to be a different tonearm base altogether and attached there.
Also wondering about the damping. Is there a trough in the base for the fluid? Pardon my questions if they seem retarded. and sorry to hijack the thread. You're one of the very few that have that tonearm. When you got it, was it an upgrade of just the arm? or did you step up from Scout to Scoutmaster?
How is the anti skate mechanism attached? It looks,in the only picture I've seen, to be possibly attached to the junction box. Seems more likely to be a different tonearm base altogether and attached there.
Also wondering about the damping. Is there a trough in the base for the fluid? Pardon my questions if they seem retarded. and sorry to hijack the thread. You're one of the very few that have that tonearm. When you got it, was it an upgrade of just the arm? or did you step up from Scout to Scoutmaster?
Jamnperry, there is a trough around the arm bearing for the damping fluid. The full signature upgrade replaces the tonearm, bearing and support assembly as well as the junction box. The wiring is now by Nordost and the anti-skating mechanism is a mechanical one and no longer accomplished via a twist of the tonearm cable.

As far as the outer ring clamp, center weight combination and new motor flywheel, dialing the speed at a stable 33 rpm is a breeze via the KAB SpeedStrobe and the SDS. I have no idea how one can achieve speed stability without the SDS and KAB Speedstrobe because of the additional flywheel and platter mass.

I went from the Scoutmaster to the SuperScoutmaster Plus (ie nordost signature arm) with a new Shelter 901 cart. Still breaking it all in.

Every dealer I have spoken to has said that the SDS is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade for this TT. I just ordered mine today.
ALL good points made above,Im a very happy owner of a Scoutmaster with sds,ring and centre weight,I bought as a package.Lornoah,for sure these options will take your table to an another level of performance...At this stage if money is tight ,I would look into the Valhalla wire upgrade...thats a $200 stupid good deal...The SDS for sure, and or the new 9.You guys with the new 9,how long did you wait for it? What do you think of it? Thanks and good listening to all.