Can a scratched record...

be repaired?
128x128tabl10s
A scratch that traverses several grooves is impractical to repair (although digital copy and offline software can do wonders for recordings of historic value). However, a simple "dig" that affects only a couple of grooves but causes the record to skip, or worse, repeat, can be fixed by delicate surgery with a sewing needle. Of course the defect will remain audible, but at least the LP is playable.
No first hand knowledge, but I understand that you can play a record "wet" and at least reduce the audible effects of the record damage. Can anyone explain or comment?
Playing a LP wet was common among audiophiles 50 years ago. It was a trick we picked up from radio stations, and has the effect of reducing surface noise. It probably also limits HF signal, which was not a problem for AM radio. Its effect is for steady-state noise, and it won't do anything for a scatch.
Albertporter...I note your comment about CDs that skip, and am puzzled. I have never (no never) encountered a CD that wouldn't play, except for one or two that were visibly defective when new. Also, I never clean CDs. I suspect that repeated cleaning may be doing damage. I never touch the silver surface of the disk, always store them in their cases, and there really is no way for them to get dirty. Some players handle read errors better than others. Maybe I have been lucky to have good ones.
I have an LP(my only one), that's out-of-print and the best track has the scratch. I have a copy of the track, but it's on an old cassette of dubious quality. Anyone out there with a laser T.T. that an make CD copy for me? I'll pay for your trouble.