Shelter and Triplanar matching ?

HELLO

I have problems to match a shelter 901 with a tri planar VII.

Lot of records ( above all piano LP ) are playing tremulous and I can see the tonearm CLEARLY SHAKING on the record while playing it as if it could be a problem of resonance between the cartridge and the tonearm .

I have seen here and there that the Shelter was a LOW COMPLIANCE cartridge (I don't know the exact value).Its weight is 9,5 g.

I have choosed the maxi VTF : 2 g.

I am afraid that the TP is too light for the shelter.Its effective mass is 11 g,
Is it enough for the Shelter 901 ?

I am surprised because the Shelter 901 / Tri Planar seemed to be a combination used buy some audiophiles...without modification .

Could someone give me some help...

Thank you

Tenmus
tenmus
Hi doug

I don't know exactly the gain value so I have send a mail to Audio note and I expect an answer.

What I can tell you is that the level was perfectly correct with the Shelter wich is 0,5 mV and much lower with A DL 103 wich is only 0,30 mV .

I could also be interested to buy A Bent SUT ( if possible from France)if I am sure to be able to adjust the GAIN and the Load myself .

André
Andre,

The loading on the Bent's is easily adjustable. The gain is not adjustable without installing a switch or re-soldering, either of which would add a connection in the signal path.

You can only buy BentAudio products directly from the company, which is in Canada. They don't have dealers.

http://www.bentaudio.com

You may be able to buy the transformers Bent uses in France (Stephens & Billington TX-103's, made in the UK). You'd have to connect them yourself and provide your own shielded cases, resistor sockets, input jacks and shielded output cables with plugs.
Dear Doug

I have contacted John Chapmann from Bent .

I provided him the specifications of my preamp to know if the standard ratio 1:10 for gain is correct with both airy versions ( 0,24 and 0,48mV). In his opinion it is enough.

I would be pleased to have your opinion on this precise point regarding only the best way to make the 0,24 mV version working fine .

Thanks

André

I would be pleased to have your opinion on this precise point regarding only the best way to make the 0,24 mV version working fine .
There's a useful preamp gain calculator on this site:

http://www.kabusa.com

It will help you estimate the necessary gain for any cartridge. (+ or - 5% from their recommendation is fine in my experience.)

In this case, a 0.24mv cartridge needs approximately 63db of gain before the line stage. A 1:10 SUT provides 20db, so your MM phono section must provide the rest. If your MM phono has about 40-46db you'll be fine.
Doug

Thanks for this usefull info.
My Jadis JP 80 provides 48 dB , so it should work even with the 0,24 mV version wich seems the best choice according your review.