MacCormack Upgrades from SMc Audio?

Hi all, My Phono Pre-Amp is a MacCormack Micro Phono Drive bought back around '96.

Just doing some surfing today, I stumbled upon Steve MacCormack's site, and see that he lists two upgrade revisions for the Micro Phono Drive, and also produces a better outboard Power Supply versus the original Wall Wart that came with the unit.

From the sound of his description, his better revision B upgrade essentially replaces just about every component in the unit, going to better Burr-Brown Op Amps, trimmed RIAA Stage, Vishay components, etc, etc. The cost of this upgrade is said to be $500, and this was actually what I paid for this unit new when I bought it.

Also, the Outboard power Supply costs $275, WBT RCA's another $60 Whattya think?
markd51
Thank you Steve for you kind, and helpful reply, and responding while you're away.

I'll get back with you by phone about my interests with the upgrade soon.

I'm going to take your advice, and try the Micro Phono Drive at the Lower Gain Setting for now, and see how I like it. Thank you again Steve! Mark
Hello again Steve/All,

After changing the gain settings again (to low gain on the Pre-Amp), I find that I really have to push my Mac Amps quite high to get volume in what I feel is an acceptable level.

I can recall this issue some years ago, when I first got the unit and did the set up, and stayed with the high gain setting ever since.

I have never noted any clipping on any LPs of mine, but I will admit, the high gain is a little bit on the "hot side", and that a gain level that would be in between the two factory settings would've been perhaps ideal-better.

My Benz Glider which was the very first version when it first came out years ago, is claimed on the spec sheet to have a 1.9Mv Output at 3.54 cm/s, but on the actual Lab test graph-sheet my personal Glider is tested at 1.8Mv.

I've read that the newer Glider H2 is spec'd at 2.5Mv.

Back when I bought mine ('96), there was no such thing as the Medium Output Glider, but there was the standard low output Glider if I recall. Mark

Hi again, Mark -

No problem with using the High-gain setting if you are not running into overload problems - go ahead and use the setting you like best. One thing you might try is loading your Glider with something below the standard 47KOhm input load. You could try loading resistors in the 10K / 5K / 1K range, for instance. It is possible that you might find an input load that will reduce the drive level slightly and improve the sound quality. See what you think.

Best regards,

Steve McCormack
www.SMcAudio.com
IME, there is no question that lower loading will improve the sound of Glider carts.
I'll have to give this a try. I know I have the 3 sets of resistors still that was originally supplied with the Unit. Just hope that the paperwork is with it, so I can identify which was which.

Guess the most important thing is to make sure I match the pairs that I throw in, as it takes two of the same value to be installed.

From what I remember from the instructions, two would be inserted into thier respective "ports" I'll call them, by bending the wire ends, making the resistors's wires look like little a little "U" and inserting them.

What should I expect with the values that Steve has mentioned eralier?
Better restraint?, smoother sound? Or?

I'll report back when I have more. Thanks, Mark