Tracking Force Gauges

I have only coarsely adjusted VTF on my cartridge using a Shure gauge and taking into account the ~ 0.3g overshoot some have reported.

I would like to embark on a careful study of the sensitivity of the sound attributes to small deviations within the recommended mfg's range. I'm curious to know what high VTF sounds like compared to low VTF and to find an optimum setting.

To do this I'm interested in your recommendations on digital VTF gauges with 0.01g accuracy.

I've heard about the MyWeigh scale and others. It seems like the my weigh scale is a traditional looking digital scale in that the measuring platform is very wide with the load cell likley centered beneath the platform. I'm not sure that one gets repeatable and accurate results if the cartridge were to be placed near the edge of the platform if the arm can't be moved in such a way.

Any thoughts on accurate VTF measurements?

Andrew
aoliviero
Vetterone, thanks for posting some measurements. Sounds like your results back up SirSpeedy's.

Hi Albert, I knew that shipping and the paypal fee was included but didn't think about it being airmail.

Opalchip, I understand your reasoning and don't really disagree. I don't think this is a "must have" set-up tool. However, it has been my experience that I will always be changing arms, cartridges, tables, etc., and any tool that can speed up the process is worth my giving serious consideration to adding it to my tool box. Thanks to the feedback this guage has received here on A'gon and the fact that Acoustic Sounds is now selling them, for a pretty hefty mark-up, I'm convinced enough to risk $100. I don't think anyone who buys one of these should be considered a sucker. But, to each his own.

SirSpeedy, I had seen this guage about the time you did but my hat's off to ya for taking the plunge first. I'll gladly buy the first round. But trust me, you don't want me picking the wine! I've pretty much exhausted my knowledge if wine with my last post. :)
Hi - I didn't mean to imply the $95 is a sucker price, (or anyone buying that one is) since it's about right for that particular scale. I was referring to other scales I've seen marketed to the audiophile community for upwards of $250.
Opalchip,I can't say that I'm not a sucker,at times.-:)

Also,I really DO believe that though the Winds is a fabulous guage(my friend has it,and I've used it extensively),the asking price is going to be it's downfall,now with this new 95 dollar job being so darn good.

The only thing,IMO,keeping this new guage from being the "ONE" to have would be its long term accuracy,and reliability.Let's hope it holds up.Then it would be "sayonara" to the 600-800 dollar Winds guages!Or any other,I guess.

Best!
Vetterone,

Thanks for that input. I was planning to purchase a calibrated weight and checking it for accuracy AND repeatability. It is good to know you are getting good results on both.

Andrew
Opalchip said:
"BTW - in my own experience, subtle changes in antiskate have a larger effect on sonics than equally subtle changes in VTF. Everyone's different, but I need about two tenths of a gram change in VTF to hear a really significant change, while less than a 1/10 gm. change in A.S. can make a huge difference to me."

Opalchip, I have found slight changes in VTF to have a very worthwhile effect, but I actually wonder if I'm not adjusting VTF to sync with a particular antiskate setting. The former obviously influences the later, and VTF is usually adjustable in much finer increments.
I find myself setting suitable AS first, then dialling in VTF to lock in the sound. If AS is adjusted, then VTF must be fine tuned again.
IMO a single best VTF for all AS settings doesn't exist.