Anybody heard Galibier or JC Verdier turntables?

I have finally narrowed my selection to these two turntables. HELP!!!!!!
Wondering if I could get some feedback on these turntables. Does anybody own these and or have any first hand experience. I am driving myself NUTS trying to decide between these two tables. The two tables are:

Galibier GAVIA or the JC Verdier LA PLATINE

Thanks
Rugyboogie
rugyboogie
I own a Galibier Gavia (but with the older Teflon/aluminum platter), and I have been very pleased with its sound quality and reliability.

I have heard the Platine Verdier a number of times but not in my own system or in a comparison with the Galibier. It is clearly a good sounding table also, and it's been around for practically forever. That should count for something.

There are two aspects about the PV that would lead me to choose the Galibier over it. First, the Galibier is powered by battery, whereas the PV has a wall-powered DC supply. I have tried it both ways and the battery makes a significant improvement in detail and dynamics. I understand there are some after-market battery arrangements for the PV, in England I believe, but you're on your own there. Second, I believe the Galibier's tape drive provides better speed stability than the string used in the PV.

I think that either table, if set up carefully, is capable of superb vinyl playback. You really can't go wrong with either one.

Hope this helps.

Dave
The PV does not, IME, have quite the dynamic strength and punch that a Galibier is likely to have. My Teres 320 has more PRaT than a PV, for exactly the same reasons Salectric named (tape drive vs. silk thread). Belt stability and grip make a huge difference in lifelike reproduction from LP's.

Battery power is also a benefit. It lowers the noise floor and removes any 60Hz leakage that could affect absolute speed stability in the motor. This too is audible in a good system, though less so than belt differences IME.

OTOH, that zero-friction PV bearing has some benefits. It ought to last literally forever, as BigBucks5 already pointed out. The bearing in a Galibier or Teres does support a lot of weight, and they definitely do not last forever. (Trust me.)

OTOOH, the floating PV bearing alters the platter height depending on record weight. If you're the set-and-forget type for arm height you might find this "self-adjusting" record height rather annoying. If you set SRA for every LP, as I do, it might not be such a big deal since you'll be adjusting arm height anyway.

Ah, for the perfect turntable. Maybe I should just learn to sing and play the violin. :-)
I too own a Verdier Platine. I love it. I agree with everything said above about it. I can't compare it to Galibier because I've never heard one. I use a Harmonix mat and clamp system on the platter. My tonearm is a DaVinci 12" with a Dynavector XV-1s.
I have a PV with a Battery PSU made by GT Audio in the UK (www.gt-audio.com). Once set up, the only thing you have to do once in a while is top up the oil in the bearing through a tiny grub screw by the record spindle - easy job , takes two minutes. Like the other comments, the PV is a great platform for the music. The addition of a battery PSU elevates it to a significantly higher plane - it lowers the noise floor substantially and improves the dynamic range and makes it quiet.
Graham Tricker at GT Audio in the UK is also the manufacturer of TRON tube amplifiers. distrbuted by Jeff at Highwater Sound in the US. If you want a 110V Battery PSU, I am sure that Graham can make one for you. He exports to lots of happy clients around the world and is a great and honest guy to deal with.
I own a Galibier table with the new graphite interface platter. I have not owned a PV but have been able to hear one on several occasions. Unfortunately, those listening sessions occured in rooms with poor acoustics.
I agree with Salectric and Doug re: battery power and tape drive. The Galibier is an excellent table which is very much "set it and forget it." The sound is remarkable. I have owned many tables over 40 years and none came close to the Galibier. I was new to the high mass design but I am a true believer now.
One of the more positive aspects of the Galibier is the relationship you will build with Thom. He is fantastic to work with. I felt that I was part of the build process. The PV is a great sounding table but I would definately go for Thom's table.