SME 20/2 SME V or Triplanar VII?

I'm in the process of acquiring an SME 20/2 and I would like to know others' thoughts and experiences with deciding whether to arm it with the SME V or the Triplanar VII.
Ag insider logo xs@2xcipherjuris
How are you arranging the audition with Galibier?

Yes, Ed, anyone who has purchased vinyl from Europe lately knows how the dollar has dropped in value. Economies do cycle regardless of politics, the Fed Bank policy is another matter. But that's for another discussion.
Thom has an owner in Sanibel who has a Gavia with Triplanar and if memory serves both an XV1S & a Universe. Its a drive of just about 2 hours. I'm really looking forward to it.

Ed
Doug,please NO letters to Rowland!It's a matter of them getting availability of acceptable Power Supply.Not sitting on hands.I truly understand their dilemma,and they did offer a loaner amp,which I stupidly(you can see a pattern with me,here)declined.So,I have no gripes with them,at all.

Getting back on topic,I must say that after carefully viewing the Galiber web-site,it seems that "there lies a guy" who is from the "old school" when it comes to product developement and customer COMMUNICATION!!
Not a common thing anymore........As to the Galiber designs,and loving too many alternative tables/arms/cartridges,for me to be considered "normal" I must admit to really loving that "dang" new GAVIA!The site beautifully lays out the design parameters,and potential performance objectives.GAD,I love this kinda stuff.Nothing does NOT make sense,on that site.Thom is even honest enough to admit to the disadvantage of a ring clamp,when I have no doubt he could have easily offered one,and made some extra cash.Does this manufacturer care about his customer base??I don't have to answer that one.Kudos!!
Seemingly very well thought out,and eluding to a world class performance,in design,too.When I take a look at MUCH of it's competition I believe it is incredibly well priced.Sensible too!!Not that you all don't know there are other very worthy designs,to lust after.I've been boning up on the increased interest in designs like the old/modded Garrard 301/401(my pal Sid is kicking himself for throwing out his flawless 301).That "idler wheel" system really makes sense.HEY,I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO.Remember my system will be down until "trick or treat season",most likely.So why not ascribe towards the "knowledge is power" way of garnishing information.
This can be dangerous,for me,because I am now either paranoid(due to the lack any forseeable ability to enjoy the hobby,already knowing I'm nutz),or have learned enough to doubt my current component choices.
Sadly,there are many who would opt to spend more,elsewhere,for that certain "cache" product, that the industry does such a good job of marketing(I'm guilty too).
Look closely at the GORGEOUS new Metronome Gaia,as an example!Definitely looks like a stunning design,but I'm willing to bet it does not outpoint the Gavia.Enough to justify the multi-thousand dollar difference.Same goes for the Grand Prix Audio 20,000 dollar direct drive "beauty".
Here is one area where I don't need to compare each to get a bit sceptical as to where the money is better spent!One can "do" a Gavia/Schroeder Ref/"nice cartridge",for the asking price of the above "lovely" designs.

BTW....Do love the new SME-20/12!Looks like a winner,like so many designs today.I could go on,but am beginning to think I've overstayed any welcome.
Wish I could hear an lp or two,these days!!I'd even take my 390's,spinning a nice John Zorn cd.Oh,to dream!!

Best,and sorry for the length,I have nothing better to do,these days.
Dear Ed: I assume that the price of an audio device is almost no price object to you.

I one of my posts here I speak about the great match ( synergy ) between the SME 20/V with the Sumiko Celebration cartridge ( you can read about on the Stereophile reviews of the 20 and the 30 SME TTs ). The Celebration, in this scene, compete with the Dynavector/ZYX cartridges for a fraction of price, it is that good.
I use it in the SME tonearm with out the stainless steel nuts on the headshel and running the tonearm in a static balanced way instead of the own V dynamically balanced way. Why don't try it?, it is " unexpensive ": 1,500.00 at retail and 1K second hand, you always could sale it if you don't like it.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Dear Flyingred: +++++ " The SME V does sound stodgy in the bass when mounted on turntables of other makes (especially non-suspended designs). " +++++

I agree, because I hear it in my RX-5000 and others one but there is one exception about: Acoustic Signature TTs, when I mounted in my AS TT every thing is fine: no stodgy bass!!!

Regards and enjoy the music.
raul.