Different Anitskate for Rock vs. Classical

Since the best Rock songs are the beginning of a record (lead in groove) shouldn't we optimize the antiskate differently than for classical where the finalis (did I spell it right?) are at the end of a record (close to the label)?
dgad
Hey,

I am not talking about the classic great albums. I am talking about the 1 hit wonders. Usually 1st song. Anyhow, you get my point. Isn't antiskate a matter of optimizing for where you listen the most?
I find it best to set the anti-skate right at the point where Roger Daltrey screams "Yeah!!!!" at the end of "Won't Get Fooled Again" on 'Who's Next' (forgot one, Audiofeil?). With patience you can get it just right, and you can feel Roger's chest cavity shaking, but it takes so many tries that you get sick of that damn scream and put on a piano sonata.

While your point about the nature of anti-skate is valid, Dgad, such a level of concern will eventually render you unable to enjoy your music. My advice: set it and forget it.

Cheers.

I do set it & forget it. I use a system where as I lower the arm into the lead out grooves of the record (usually a record w. a large lead out groove) I set antiskate for the arm to slowly continue towards the center. It is very precise. Too much & the arm pulls back. Too little & it jumps grooves. My post came based on a discussion of the HFNRR test disc w. 4 antiskate points with a friend of mine. I always find that; 1st the results are not valid to music, and 2nd; that you need different settings for each of the tracks. Just having some fun.
The only true system in listening. Any visual and/or manufacturer recommendation setting is nothing more than a rough approximation. As Dgad correctly points out, the test records are useless (for anti-skating) as every table/arm/cartridge combination is different. I think most listeners would be surprised that minimal or no anti-skating sounds better in most cases.

It may take longer to set by ear but over the long run the benefit far outweighs the time it requires.

All of course IMO.