Is Digital actually better than Analog?

I just purchased an Esoteric DV-50s. The unit is fantastic in the sense that you can hear every detail very clearly in most recordings. Here is the thing, does it make for an enjoyable musical expereince? With this type of equipment, you can actually tell who can actually sing and who can really play. Some artist who I have really enjoyed in the past come across as, how shall I put it, not as talented. This causes almost a loss of enjoyment in the music.
Which comes to my Vinyl curiousity. I dont own a single record, but I have been curious why so many have kept the LP's (and tubes for that matter) alive for so long after the digital revolution and now I am thinking it is probably has to do with LP's being more laid back and maybe even more musical. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Would someone recommend going back to Analog. I was thinking of getting a entry level player like a Scout Master.
128x128musicaudio
The stern of the vessel moves in the direction of the propeller rotation. How about that?
Here is an update on this thread. The originator, Musicaudio (Andrew), after being very impressed by the Esoteric DV-50S, as stated in the beginning, became much less impressed after owning it for a week, and has now sold it.

So I guess that means....analog wins. Wahoo!

:-)
a friend of mine who actually pretty much sold me all of my equipment as a sort of hand me downs when he upgraded convinced me when i mentioned that i wanted to get a sacd player telling me that the cds were going to cost a pretty penney when you can go out and hunt down some vinyl and pay pennies on the dollar for it. he sold me his old optonica direct drive which i grew to love. well after about a year i ran across a nice pioneer belt drive in great shape. still this rig here on audiogon would be concidered a junker but the belt drive really kept the noise down. well its been two years now and now i have a revox linear drive and moving coil and all. probably 1000 or so records and honestly i still enjoy a cd from time to time but you just can't beat the affordability of records now their fun to listen to and their fun to find at garage sales flea markets or the best is when a friend of a friend knows that your into vinyl and give you their old record collection that thy could not throw out. its a great hobby. now as far as the digital goes i recently upgraded my turntable and my cd player and actually can hear the differences in both. went from an older 1990ish yamaha to probably same era sony that was a higher end unit at the time and noticed big diffences in smoothness and low end bass. very interesting to play around with but i much prefer tweaking my analog rig.
>>So I guess that means....analog wins. Wahoo!<<

Ding!
Round Two
Pass the popcorn
John is correct. I have sold my Esoteric Dv-50s. I said goodbye to it after watching the Lord of the Rings Special Edition triology. A 12 hour event. The Esoteric is by far the best player via movie soundtracks, but music wise, it was just was too detailed and a bit harsh. Shopping around, I am happy to say I did hear my first very pleasing Vinyl sound demo. It was in Audio Synergey (I'll give them a plug) in Philipsburg, NJ. I listend to a Krell 400XI, Krell Resolution 3 Montiors and he had a Krell 300 CD player and some $200- Czech Record Player. I was quite taken back to how good it sounded, especially for $200-. Sounded great with the Krell gear. I am thinking of going back and getting it and hitting some record stores. I know there is one down in Princeton, NJ that sells records for like a $1-. Once again, thanks to everyone that has responded to the forum. They all seem somewhat enthusiastic.