Equilizer to reduce surface noise on bad records?

I know that high end shuns away from using equilizers, but I was wondering if anyone has used one to reduce surface noise and pops and clicks on records? I have some record albums that I enjoy but are not in the best shape, I thought that maybe an equilizer would help but do not want to buy one if it is not going to do anything. If it does work, which frequency band would I reduce? I would only use the equilizer on the bad records and switch it out on the good ones. I have a Rega Planer 2 turntable with a Benz ace cartridge.
cal208
An EQ is not a good choice but there are several ways to do what you want. I have no experience with this but it looks interesting.http://www.elpdeclicker.com/

There are also many computer programs and other hardware solutions to do the job. Do a Google on "record impulse noise" or "record tick reduction" to explore further.
IMO, you'll get far better results at signifcantly lower cost by purchasing the CD versions of those bad LPs. Being an anlog aficionado is commendable, but there comes a point of diminishing returns with bad source material.
An EQ won't fix that kind of problem. I had the same noise issue but ended up just sticking with CDs and that solved it quite well. Good luck.

Arthur