External motor’s connection with the speed of my t

I have an Acoustic Solid Wood Classic Turntable with the external motor. I am finding that every time I play a record I have to adjust the distance that the motor is from the turntable because of the high speed the record is playing at. Is this typical of these types of tables? Could it be a defective motor? By the way, I do not have a speed box.
rgrenier
just another idea, i use mapleshade isoblocks broke in half under my motor, three pieces, the rubber grabs the maple shelf for a good grip and also isolates very well, JMO
I use the larger wood 'table from AS. Near as I can tell, the motor has not moved a mm since I set it up. However, this is a much larger motor than the smaller wood model you own. I can tell you from experience with an outboard motor on a Transrotor Sirius- that I also own- that a level surface is critical to proper performance. For a whle, the motor was set back from the table on a surface that was app 3 degrees sloped. Speed consistency was a complete mess. I don't know that you need a base, but try to make sure that the motor and 'table are at least on a flat surface.

Good Luck,

Marty