MM to MC back to MM

Has anyone gone back to MM after trying MC cartridges? Why did you go back? What MC cartridges did you try?
jsman
Surely this discussion has been posted before. Sorry for not searching the archives first.

As obvious as it may seem, few discussions address the inherent dilemma one faces when comparing a MM to a MC cartridge. Regardless of any design and/or spec advantages one has over the other, evaluations of different types of cartridges (MM vs. MC) yield results that are difficult to call absolute or definitive. The need to switch to a different phonostage is the culprit. Consequently, you are unable to conclude that what you are hearing is due only to the differences between the cartridges.

Certainly a single phonostage can be used. However, most (if not all) conventional methods of overcoming this dilemma introduce additional variables. For MM phonostages, one can use a step up transformer or a prepreamp after the MC cartridge. On the other hand one can use a passive "attenuator" device after MM cartridges to reduce the output before feeding the signal to a MC phonostage.

It may still be possible to compare a MM and a MC cartridge, but only if one has a phonostage with identical mm and mc performance at any fixed overall [system] listening level. I am not an engineer, so those who have more technical know-how please chime in. Does such a phonostage exist? If so what tests does one perform to determine how similar or different a MM phonostage is from one designed for a MC without using a cartridge?

If this dilemma cannot be addressed, we have no choice but to treat MM and MC cartridges separate/independent from one another. I have my handful of MM cartridges that I cannot do without and for any given sonic parameter/criteria I can rank them. I can do the same for the superb MC transducers that I own. However, I cannot say if my favorite MM is better or not quite as good as my favorite MC, because the introduction of other components means that such an evaluation is not an apples-for-apples comparison.
Well I can.I posted a while back in the Lenco thread,about how I replaced a Denon 103 MC with an Ortofon VMS 20 Mk11 E MI and how I thought the Ortofon was better. Because when I dialled in the anti-skate it actually made the music right unlike the Denon where I was always looking for compromises or using no anti-skate at all.I found using a conical tip improved things still further.A guy on VA called Jeff Medwin says he won't let an art-stylus in his house.Why? there is 3 times the distortion from elliticals or shibata types.We have got lost!
Stefanl - I found the thread you referred to:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1157059532&openusid&Stefanl&4&5&st350

However, you did not detail your complete analog setup when you were listening to the Denon MC and any changes you made when you went to the Ortofon MM.

You did indicate that you used a silver cable for the Denon and a VDH IC for the Ortofon, suggesting that at least three new variables were changed (transducer, phonostage or transformer, and IC) when you went from the MM to the MC cartridge. How can you possibly conclude that what you heard is due primarily to the differences in the performances of the cartridges alone?

04-30-07: Stefanl
I posted a while back ... how I replaced a Denon 103 MC with an Ortofon VMS 20 Mk11 E MI and how I thought the Ortofon was better. Because when I dialed in the anti-skate it actually made the music right unlike the Denon where I was always looking for compromises or using no anti-skate at all.I found using a conical tip improved things still further.....
Yeah, but the Denon 103 MC also has a conical tip.
Ok guys here is the situation. I am about to buy a scoutmaster and want to order it with a cartridge. I have never heard a MC cartridge before, so I thought here is my chance. Now with that said I was looking at the Dyna 20X-H 1.0mv it is suppose to be a very good match for this arm and table. Right now I have a mid-fi Luxman TT with a AT 440MLa MM cartridge, What I am realy trying to find out is am I going to loose any bass with the MC. Or should I get the scoutmaster with a MM, if so which one?