Audiophile turntables of the 60's and 70's

This is for the dealers and people that remember what turntables were selling back in the golden years of the 60's and early 70's (what would you see at a dealer playing along with a McIntosh C22,and 275 amp ?)

I know there was the Garrard 301,401 but what else was the table to have back then.

Thanks
Mark
mark02131
The Linn Sondek is certainly the most important turntable of the '70s and, arguably, the most seminal product of the modern high end movement. It was based on Thorens first belt drive the TD150 and the AR turntable, both of which came out in the same year, 1965 if I remember correctly, and, more closely, the Ariston RD11, all being classics. I have seen a lot of Mac tube systems that were sold with Dual tables, simply because, before Linn, the prevailing logic was that all turntables sounded the same. Kind of a let down, but I used to collect Mac tube gear and that's what usually showed up with it. Certainly, the Technics SP10, in it's various revisions was an object of desire, and started the whole direct-drive movement, and the Thorens TD124 was another lusted after piece of analog gear. Many found the Micro Seiki DDX-1000 to be a stunner and the capacity for housing three tonearms was way out for the time. For sheer looks, the Transcriptor tables were the cats meow and one can be seen in Kubrick's great film, "A Clockwork Orange".
I had an AR Manual turntable during the 70's. To show you how much I understood about turntables at that time, I sold it to a friend of mine and bought a Yamaha direct-drive turntable because it was fully automatic. I later regretted that boneheaded decision.
Rabco belt-drive linear-tracking tonearm, either the Rabco or Harman-Kardon version
Marantz SLT-12 linear tracker

For home use, Garrard SL-95B (with teak insert on tonearm for damping), or Zero-100 with pivoting headshell for "zero" tracking angle distortion.

The Thorens 'tables of the day (not sure of model numbers)

AR suspended belt drive (spiritual ancestor to the Linns)

Along with the Garrard 301/401 pro line, the Rek-o-Kuts were highly regarded for pro use.

And of course there was the Technics SL-10 and all that followed.

Next, we'll be talking about Weathers cartridges.