Old B&O vs. new Rega P1

I have an old B&O RX turntable with the MMC3 cartridge. I'm thinking of upgrading. Would the new Rega P1 be much of an upgrade?
jimmymac
It's been a long time, but I worked at a store that carried B&O, and I remember their 'tables as being pretty clean-sounding but a bit on the light side where slam and bass weight were concerned.

I certainly feel that I get a lot more performance out of my SL1210, particularly where weight and slam are concerned, as well as a rightness to the midrange and a great sense of immediacy. I think you'd also get a noticeable improvement with a Goldring GR1.2.

08-16-07: Jaybo
nope...keep the b&o.....down the road take a leap,but your not missing anything compared to the 2k and under contendors
I find it hard to believe that a sub $2K Funk Firm, Rega P5, or VPI Scout wouldn't leave a B&O RX totally in the dust in every conceivable parameter.
The B&O is a fine table. I had one a while ago. It sounded light weight as what Johnnyb53 said.

The Rega is however a very good stepping stone to get into higher priced turntables. One can use this opportunity to learn about setting up your own turntable and learning what the various settings on the tonearm affect the sound. You will also not be limited to just 1 cartridge. This alone will open up new avenues for experimentation.

Once you've outgrown the Rega, you will be ready for you next "big" purchase.
The B&O is a nice 'table especially if you do not compare it to other 'tables. I'm not missing anything not going to Hawaii but since I've never been, how would I know?
dust off the b&o....put the best cartridge it will take in the arm....just enjoy the music. there is little to be gained from dropping 2k, except missing out on 2k's worth of vinyl goodies. as for the funk and others in the range....if you're determined to go a baby step forward, get a technics, or a denon.
It's hard to fit cartridges on the B&O. It only take their own cartridges.

Yes, I agree. A technics or Denon will be much better than the Regas.