Deep Cleaning Records With Steam?

It has happened again. Major tweak and record provider has available a steam cleaner made especially for records. Anybody try steam for cleaning lp’s? What were your results? Since a unit can be had for about $20 at Target, 15% of what the tweak provider is charging, is it worth a try?.
tiger
Crem1 and Thommas,

I don't think we have a big difference of opinion. You both use RCMs and steam cleaners. I also use both, though I rarely find a record so dirty I need to avail myself of the steam cleaner. But, for me, the RCM is the essential tool because of its everyday utility. R/O water used in either/both is a very practical approach from the standpoint of cost and minimal damage to plasticizers and other compounds in the record.

Thanks for the anecdote about four intensive cleaning cycles making a difference. I usually make two vigorous efforts and then I assume that what I hear is permanent damage to the record and not just stubborn dirt. I will try more cycles with some precious, but noisy, records I have found.
The quality of water used is primordial it seems: I steam- cleaned a few old LPs (cleaning solution, brushing, steaming, wiping, and again) the result is better sonically BUT with the addition of pops which weren't there before. I also notice the stylus fills with gunk when playing those LPs -- obviously the cleaning is not thorough enough. I don;t have a RCM.
Or am I doing s/thing wrong?
Larryi said
"I usually make two vigorous efforts and then I assume that what I hear is permanent damage to the record and not just stubborn dirt"
I must admit I have fear to damage new records with something in contact to vinyl surface, also if it is the soft and clean RCM's brush and also if it will no bring audible damages: I just would hate to see also the slightest mark under strong sunlight in a new precious vinyl.
So steam cleaning attracts me, but I've thought at a centrifugal system to wipe/remove dirty condensed water or any other fluid. If would be a DIY from a drill or fan.
Athought a force of about 50 g could be applied to remove the dirty fluid (I would be satisfied if it would remove the "Micro Care Premiere", a specific fluid for new records), I don't know if it would be better than the 5 atm which a vacuum cleaner can apply to vinyl surface. However this statement can be read from a manifacturer of such RCM: "Shop vac units are not to be used for they are too powerful".
While I don't know what the big dogs are using (as in higher end gear), I think it vital to have good record cleaning machine ( I am using a 25 yr + VPI - how is that for a great product.). I also think steam cleaning essential (and thanks to all of Crem1's excellent guidance and recommendations I am grateful; from the steamer, water, and even Purdy brush). I use Walker Audio Prelude and that is also very excellent.
Although I steam as the last step and eliminate using Walkers water Ultra Pure Water.

My records are clean and lacking ticks and pops except on really dry days.

They sound fabulous.
Well I took the steam plunge today with a Conair unit from Wallyworld for $30 and so far its all thumbs up, I clean on VPI as normal, then steam and scrub then Vac off let sit and play. A really noisy Boston album was atleast 50% better than before and thats good enough for me, more info to follow as I clean more.