Reversing absolute phase

Hi there,
I heard this phrase before and was wondering, what does it mean and how do you do it?

Any specifics would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
mariasplunge
There's a bit of confusion here between these posts.

In any electrical situation, there is a positive and return leg of the circuit. Sometimes the return leg is synonimous with ground and sometimes there are discreet positive, negative and ground legs. Microhone lines are usually "balanced" three leg circuits with positive, negative and ground legs. Although there is some standardization that pin one should be ground, pin 2 positive an pin 3 negative, it is very easy for positive and negative to be reversed or for positive and ground to be reversed in unbalanced circuits. This ususally happens either by miswiring or in polarity inverting circuits, which are quite common. In certain circumstances it can require alot of attention to detail to ensure that polarity is consistent as well as "correct."

This means that not only is there an opportunity for entire CDs or LPs to reversed, one to another, or for polarity to be reversed from cut to cut within an LP or CD, but also one mic to another within one cut. This last issue makes it impossible to determine a consistent polarity for that cut/album and is very common. Even audiophile engineers who care sometimes have problems ensuring correct polarity.
Miswiring is hardly an excuse. Since one polarity is often superior, it is too bad that this issue is ignored.
not an excuse, just a reality. The much more common issue is polarity inverting circuits. An engineer mus be cogniscent of the polarity of every unit in his arsenal of gizmos and make sure to align them. I would hazard that most modern truly professional engineers do this.
"Since one polarity is often superior." No it's not. They're identical. The CD or LP can be recorded in either "normal" or "inverted" polarity* and played back in either. It helps if the playback matches the recording, but because most speakers are not polarity-coherent (with minimal or no crossovers) anyway, it only makes much of an audible difference on the ones that are. This subject is a hardy perennial, but that doesn't seem to make for much clarity about it.

* And many are recorded in mixed polarity. I have discs where I can bring the vocalist forward or put him/her in the background depending on where the polarity switch is set on my preamp.
Also don't confuse "reverse" on some pre-amps (was poular back in 50's/60's) as when it says "Stereo-Mono-Reverse) all you are doing is swapping what came out of left speaker for what now comes out of right".So if your bass is more prominent in left channel and drums more prominent in right it will be reversed that's all.Some confuse this with above info on phjase.I wish more digital players had this and compresson which is so easy to add and if your system is in absolute phase (after using polarty check ) all the way through an engineer went the other way it can make a huge difference.Compresson is something I'd like o see for making Car CD-R's or low level listening.Had an Adcom GCP 750 that had phase and it mae huge difference on some recordings.
Chazz