Reversing absolute phase

Hi there,
I heard this phrase before and was wondering, what does it mean and how do you do it?

Any specifics would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
mariasplunge
polarity is the correcting wiring. Don't confuse this with phase. Phase takes place between more than one source, like two microphones. if they are both in polrity, say pin 2 hot and correct they may be slightly out of phase with each other. when you start to correct an already mixed record with an absolute flip , you are usually choosing whatever sounds better, not correcting an absolute polarity issue.
Mothra, I don't think there is an industry standard. We have no way to know whether what people prefer in polarity is correct polarity, the best of quite mixed polarities on a given recording, or even incorrect polarity. This is the sad state of affairs given industry indifference concerning polarity.

Unfortunately, most of us lack the easy capability to invert polarity by means that do not degrade the signal.
At the very least, the initial attack of a kick drum from a kit should move the cone forward toward the listener. This is the way it is in the real world. This is not as easy to determine with other instruments that have more complex timbres. Also, microphones may or may not be transducing to an electrical signal in absolute polarity at all times. Ribbons work differently than dynamic configurations. Also, added ambience will often not be monitored in mono prior to mixdown in order to minimize phase cancellations and this too may negate any absolute polarity advantages.

Small studio live jazz recordings without much processing are the best way to reveal polarity issues. BUt that kick drum had better cause the cone to move forward toward me when I hear it and not away.
well, the standard for wiring was pin 3 hot for a long time in europe and it was pin 2 hot in the US later. Now it is generally pin 2 hot. Studios tend to, and should pay attention to this meaning that the polarity should be correct from the microphone into the mic pre into the tape machine. After that you are talking about phase relationships which are far more complicated.