Is it the Windex?

When I first got back into this hobby I started buying used LP's from the dealer across the street. Very nice guy starting his own store. Prices seemed reasonable, quality was OK. I got some very nice stuff.

Over the past 2 years LP's have risen from a "usual" $3-7.99 to $7 - 15. I've also noticed that whether they're described as near mint or VG++ they have continuous pops and ticks even after I clean them with L'Art du Son and Disc Doctor Quick Wash Record Cleaner on my VPI 16.5.

Though I can hear crisp grooves on the better discs the popcorn noise drives me nuts.

Lately, I've notice he stands behind the counter cleaning records with Windex and paper towels. Is he doing something with that that trashes the records beyond redemption?

I've made up my mind to quit buying from him altogether, though he's the nicest guy in the world. The stuff I get from E*bay and Goodwill cleans up better.

Any thoughts?
joe_in_seattle
Joe : Re-clean your purchases using the Steam Cleaning method outlined in the thread below . Follow the instructions, spend a few $$ on a steamer and other insidentals needed including an effective record cleaning solution ( home-brew or $$$ ). Replay and see if there is a significant difference. Sometimes it just crud and other times record defects , more likely crud. Re-clean your noisy ones first. Should they quiet down you have a inexpensive solution and can go one to other options suggested in the Steam thread. What ever you do don't tell the guy across the street , prices will go sky high.
I talked to my guy today. It's not Windex! He uses 60% water 40% alcohol and toilet paper. Sigh. I suppose it's the TP drying on.

He does guarantee his records, so I can return the worst ones, but I think I'll find another place to buy.
Hi Joe,

Isopropanol is generally used in record fluid formulas, such as ours, to harden dissolved protein deposits in order to keep them from reattaching to the record. The water and the cleaning method as you described would not normally be sufficient to dissolve such deposits thoroughly enough to keep them from being hardened on the record, thus manifesting as a "crackling" noise during playback.

Rubbing hard with toilet paper wouldn't be such a great idea either. Those records, although more difficult to clean, can be cleaned with a little effort.

Best regards.

Jim Pendleton
Osage Audio Products, LLC
More to discover